This is another one of those albums that is incredibly acclaimed and maybe a little too hyped. But to be honest, it deserves it.
This is one of those very perfect albums that have no flaws, every song is memorable and you can tell that a lot of work and effort went into making the music.
This album is also a massive landmark for putting Progressive Metal as a serious and respected genre.
The concept is also quite good, with the teenage outcast fighting for revolution and drugs, but later failing in his dreams, e.g. the death of his only love, Mary. Every time I hear the name Dr. X, it reminds me of Action Men.
1. I Remember Now - An interesting narrative. The bit where the nurse curses makes me laugh every time.
2. Anarchy-X - Chanting and a whole load of hoopla.
3. Revolution Calling - An amazing song to start the album with amazing catchy verses and chorus. Geoff Tate can hit some amazing notes. 4. Operation: Mindcrime - Again, a very catchy song and the lyrics story like mode is very interesting. If you're not singing any of these songs at the end of listening, then there is something wrong with you.
5. Speak - I love the baritone vocals in the chorus. Again, some great lyrics. I love the juxtaposition between drugs and religion.
6. Spreading The Disease - I have a feeling this song also may be about AIDS. Some profanity used and also dark Christian imagery. Great song.
7. The Mission - One of their most prog like moments, with some amazing twists and turns and an amazing vocal performance.
8. Suite Sister Mary - Very epic, the choir and the female vocals add to the mood. One of Geoff's best vocal moments. That girl in it is also amazing.
9. The Needle Lies - I love the layered vocals in this song. The key change at the end of the song, you would swear that's Bruce Dickinson singing.
10. Electric Requiem - The death of Mary basically.
11. Breaking The Silence -Maybe the most emotional song on the album. Very epic chorus.
12. I Don't Believe In Love - An amazing anti love song. Again an absolute belter of a chorus.
13. Waiting For 22 - Very ominous, wooo
14. My Empt y Room - Why do interludes come in 2's in this album. Again very ominous and the vocals add to the atmosphere.
15. Eyes Of A Stranger - What an amazing way to end an album. This song is very Iron Maiden and you can see the Bruce elements of Geoff's voice. The last few seconds do scare the hell out of me, especially when you're headphones are turned on to loud.
CONCLUSION: It's a landmark of modern music. That's all I really have to say.