MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sludgecore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sludgecore
    Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 10:27pm
This isn't really recognized as a true subgenre anywhere per se, but it is a noticeable sound amongst Sludge Metal bands. The tl;dr of Sludgecore is it's Sludge Metal that has stayed true to roots, Hardcore Punk but with Doom Metal and Noise Rock influence. It's not super doom leaning e.g. Grief, Toadliquor etc, not atmos-sludge e.g. Neurosis, Isis etc, not super Southern Metal influenced e.g. Down etc. Just basic ass disgusting Sludge; Eyehategod, Buzzoven, Iron Monkey and so on. That's at least as far as I can tell what it is, I'm not super knowledgeable or versed in Sludge.

So is there any love, opinions, likes/dislikes, wtf is this dumb shit, here for these types of Sludge acts? 

I've been really digging into 

Side note I can't believe you guys added all those noise releases

Of course I'm including a band with Seth Putnam here

and on and on

Edited by Sheavy - 18 Apr 2024 at 10:47pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:46pm
Personally I have to confess to being largely ignorant about sludge metal in general. It's one of those genres I have enjoyed to some extent but could claim no real familiarity with. I can name only three bands that I can say I'm an actual fan of and I don't expect any of them come under what you've talking about here: Cult of Luna, (early) Mastodon & Kylesa. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:07am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Personally I have to confess to being largely ignorant about sludge metal in general. It's one of those genres I have enjoyed to some extent but could claim no real familiarity with. I can name only three bands that I can say I'm an actual fan of and I don't expect any of them come under what you've talking about here: Cult of Luna, (early) Mastodon & Kylesa. 

Yeah, Sludge has a pretty wide range of sounds. Baroness is a group you would probably like if you’re into Mastodon, Kylesa etc
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:38pm
All sludge should still have hardcore elements of course but yes I love the dirtier more hardcore sludge bands out there. And there’s a lot of them. In terms of calling out sludgecore separately, we mention it as an inclusive style in hardcore for those hardcore bands that incorporate elements of doom without becoming fully metal. Those that are metal are obviously under sludge. I usually describe those as sludge metal / hardcore in the bio.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 4:20pm
Nice review of the 16 album btw!
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

All sludge should still have hardcore elements of course but yes I love the dirtier more hardcore sludge bands out there. And there’s a lot of them. In terms of calling out sludgecore separately, we mention it as an inclusive style in hardcore for those hardcore bands that incorporate elements of doom without becoming fully metal. Those that are metal are obviously under sludge. I usually describe those as sludge metal / hardcore in the bio.

Hell yeah! Any favorites?

About the hardcore elements, sometimes I find it hard to distinguish the more doom/sludge stuff as being sludge from just doom.

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Nice review of the 16 album btw!

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it's been 12 years since the last review I wrote here Embarrassed. 16 are great, underrated as hell.

A few more good ones I've thought of

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image