MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review Reporting Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review Reporting Thread
    Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 10:25am

With immediate effect, this thread replaces the "Inappropriate reviews" . Please use it to report reviews which you feel do not comply with the MMA guidelines As a reminder, the guidelines can be seen here

The following basic rules for this thread will be enforced, to keep the thread running efficiency. 

a) Only reviews which you think do not comply with the above mentioned guidelines should be reported.

b) When reporting a review it is preferable to include the link ("Permanent link"). The text may also be included if you think it is necessary to make an observation or a pertinent commentary

c) Once a report is done for a particular review any other reports related to the same review may be deleted unless they contain relevant additional information. Please do not simply post in support of the original report, or indeed to challenge the original report. The admin team will consider each reported review independently and impartially.

d) Issues related to plagiarism, copyrights and other legal questions shall be reported directly to the Admin Team ([email protected]). These issues shall NOT be reported here.

e) Issues related to personal taste, misunderstandings, doubtful interpretations, accuracy, etc, of a particular review shall be reported directly to the reviewer by PM. These issues should NOT be reported here. (Once the final changes to the site have been made, all reviewers will have a forum ID).

f) Reports containing sarcastic or disrespectful comments toward the reviewer should not be made. They shall be edited or even deleted.

g) Reviewers whose reviews are reported may use this thread to defend their review. One report, and one response only for each review though please.

h) A new thread for the general discussion of reviews has been created here

We thank you all in advance for helping us to improve the site while ensuring this thread remains a civil place to visit.

(Please do not post initial comments about this thread here. Use the "Reviews Discussion" thread.)

The MMA Admin Team

Edited by Colt - 16 Dec 2010 at 4:03am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 2:28pm
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/high-fashion--review.aspx?id=214674

After reading this thread's opening post I'm not sure if I should report this here, but there's a lot of comments made in this review towards another reviewer. I don't think it was OK to write a review discussing other people's opinions? I guess that's one of the things what the shout option is for.
<- Click on this!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 2:35pm
You are right about the shout option, Pekka, but the review in question is neither sarcastic nor disrespectful - which, obviously, would have doomed it to being at least heavily edited. As I see things, it is a rather  mild-mannered response to a review with which the author clearly disagrees, and offers a lot of valuable information about the band. The only point I find a bit strong is when he/she uses the expression 'complete and utter fallacy'. In comparison to some of the stuff I've seen on PA over the years, this is nothing - which does not mean we should encourage this trend. 
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:54pm
BTW, I would be a little light-handed on censuring any new people we get that are willing to do reviews. If they violate guidelines a little PM saying "Hey this is how we're trying to keep things around here." But we need the reviews. Just something to keep in mind. Seeing non-PAers contributing is very good.
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:01pm
I have nothing else to add to the above post but a big Clap. Very well said, Master GandalfWink!
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:04pm
that's Sarumon... with a guitar

Edited by NJCat_11 - 16 Apr 2010 at 4:04pm
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:39pm
Silly meLOL!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:48am
I find both reviews very well written and it�s nice to see two very different opinions about the same album. I�m not usually for people mentioning other reviewers in their reviews or commenting on others reviews in their own reviews but I think it�s allright in this case. As long as it doesn�t become a trend.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 4:13pm

I would like to report my own review of Nostradamus Embarrassed
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/nostradamus--review.aspx?id=215642

It's something I've written 2 years ago and I didn't give the album a new spin before posting it.
I don't do that on PA and I don't want to start doing that here neither.

Could you delete it?
I'll post it again when I have more time for a full Priest retrospective! Smile

graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:59am
^ Deleted
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:36pm
Not really "breaking any rules" and it's a fine review, but I think some editing should have been done to fit the context of the site, rather than a simple cut-and-paste job. A few of his other posted reviews today (all on the front page) have the same issue:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/st-anger--review.aspx?id=217221

In the second sentence he says " It's remarkably comical that this album is even on Prog Archives", but this is actually METALMUSIC Archives, not PROG Archives.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:02pm
Yep I think people who copy/ paste their reivews from other sites ( especially from PA) should look them over at make edits before posting them here on MMA.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:12pm
^ His recently posted Master of Puppets review has the same problem.... Ermm

Should I send him a PM about that and let him know about this "unwritten law"?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 3:23pm
Yes, please, Jeff... I know that I (as all of us here) had to be very careful to edit any references to prog from the reviews I had originally written for PA - unless they referred to prog-metal acts.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 7:57pm
^ on that note I pasted all my metal related reviews here and had to edit them a lot but if I mentioned PA in any or slipped up let me know and I will fix but I read thru them all....
I am now over that and will be writing new reviews for this site
But as its a new site its a good thing to at least have a number of reviews to get us going here. After that I think the cut and paste reviewing style wiill simmer to a crawl from PAers.

But iam not one to reinvent the wheel and i pasted a heap from progarchives specifically changing some info to suit the metal archives. it seemed the sensible thing to do. And It didnt take as long as writing them from scratch .... so I hope thats OK - i wasnt going to do it but I noticed heaps of others were doing it so i just joined in.
GLAM METAL!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:56am
There�s absolutely nothing wrong with you posting the same reviews that you write for PA here on MMA, just as long as you edit those that are specifically targeted PA with references to the site and those that evaluate releases from a progressive rock listener point of view ( of course progressive releases are an exception, but there�s no use reviewing an old school black metal release from a progressive standpoint if you know what I mean). Not all your reviews need editing, but reviewers should keep in mind that some may.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:36pm
I posted most of my metal reviews from PA here on MMA, and in most cases they needed minimal editing. There was one, however, that needed almost to be completely rewritten - it was the review for Queensryche's seminal Operation Mindcrime, which of course I had originally tackled from a progressive rock point of view.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 12:52pm
The line in this review: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/voyeurs--review.aspx?id=218423 about being gay and a rocker is not acceptable IMO. I think the reviewer should be asked to remove that line from his otherwise acceptable review.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 1:03pm
Not to judge anyone, but it is not easy to read reviews with tons of exlamation marks and whatnot. Healthy use of paragraphs and reduced use of special characters always makes a review already better. I'm definitely not a good writer nor excellent in English, but I think those are worthy tips for improving reviews. :-)
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 1:07pm
Thanks for reporting ! 

Question: Do we have a review admin/moderator ? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic