KISS — Hotter Than Hell

By KISS

1. Got To Choose (3:54)
2. Parasite (3:02)
3. Goin' Blind (3:37)
4. Hotter Than Hell (3:30)
5. Let Me Go, Rock 'N Roll (2:15)
6. All The Way (3:17)

Release date: October 22, 1974
Label: Casablanca Records

Thanks to rushfan4, Pekka, Lynx33, diamondblack for the updates

Buy KISS - HOTTER THAN HELL music

Hotter Than Hell (Remastered)Hotter Than Hell (Remastered)
Reissued · Remastered
Mercury 1997
Kiss, Hotter than Hell LP 1974 Japan Yellow Vinyl Mercury PHJR 20003Kiss, Hotter than Hell LP 1974 Japan Yellow Vinyl Mercury PHJR 20003
Mercury
Kiss Vinyl LP Hotter Than Hell LP West Germany 1974 ZZ logoKiss Vinyl LP Hotter Than Hell LP West Germany 1974 ZZ logo
Casablanca / Phonogram
Showing 3 items | Cache expiring in 43h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & KISS music

KISS HOTTER THAN HELL reviews

Impressively released barely three months after their debut, Kiss are back with their second album, ‘Hotter Than Hell’. While I admire a lot of these early rock bands from back in the day for their non-stop work ethic which saw them chug out so many releases in such a short space of time, the end result is usually average at best.

Take Kiss’ early days, for example. Mediocre, sleazy rock ‘n’ roll, at its very finest. I guess. I didn’t really enjoy the bands self-titled debut, and this certainly isn’t any better. From the rather dreary riffs to the forgettable lyrics, the only real shining quality about this album is the apparent chemistry amongst the band members, in particular, guitarists Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley. While it’s nothing remarkable by today’s standards, there’s definitely a synergy between the two, and if nothing else, it’s reassuring to know that these guys will go on to release much better material in the future.

‘Got to Choose’ and ‘Parasite’ are the only two songs I’d even consider passable, and the latter is mostly thanks to Anthrax’s cover of it. There’s a couple of decent guitar solos, but not decent enough that I remember which song I heard them in, and I have no desire to go looking for them.

While Kiss’ early works probably fare better if you were around in the 70’s, or you were exposed to it at an early age, to me, ‘Hotter Than Hell’, much like its predecessor, is a fairly rubbish album. It lacks the energy and bombast of later efforts, and just tends to drag along boringly with no real passion. Mercifully, it’s barely half an hour long.
Although it is prized by many Kiss fans, I personally find it difficult to warm to Hotter Than Hell. Its case isn't helped by the miserably murky production job, which combined with a lifeless, plodding performance by the band causes the album to lack all of the vivacity and enthusiasm of the band's electrifying debut. When you throw in the fact that most of the album's better tracks would be released in superior and far more energetic versions on the Alive! album, there's really no compelling reason to listen to this one, unless your heart is set on listening to the band groan their way through a tasteless joke about a lecherous old codger's relationship with a barely-legal-to-outright-illegal (depending on your local laws on age of consent) girl. No thanks.
AtomicCrimsonRush
She looked good she looked hotter than hell, so begins the title track and this is an apt description of the album. It looks fantastic with Japanese scrawlings and vibrant colourful kabuki masks, the Japanese must have adored this. The sound is raw and energetic and it is perhaps the best of the first three albums of Kiss. Parasite is on this, always a perennial favourite. Goin' Blind is the wonderful Simmons ballad. Got To Choose is a slow paced cruncher by Paul with blistering riffs. Mainline is Peter Criss taking the mike to great effect. He also shines on the Frehley penned Strange Ways that features some awesome Ace grooves and a killer lead solo. Overall this is a memorable album with a startling doomy atmosphere. The serious side of Kiss was captured here and the tracks have featured in concert performances over the years. It is one of my favourite early Kiss albums.

No KISS HOTTER THAN HELL reviews posted by members yet.

• ian