METALLICA St. Anger

Album · 2003 · Thrash Metal
mlkpad14
St. Anger gets hate, but if someone were to forget Metallica's older releases maybe they would more so appreciate the album.

Actually, "St. Anger" happens to be one my favorite alternative albums and one of my favorite albums by Metallica.

James Hetfield has supported on many occasions the amount of anger and emotion that went into the album's making. He has stated that, "There's two years of condensed emotion in this. We've gone through a lot of personal changes, struggles, epiphanies, it's deep. It's so deep lyrically and musically."

To me, that is what this album stands for, and that is what the mood it conveys. So this album fits at times when I am really angry, or at times when I am, ironically, really happy.

The album, in my opinion, can be paired with other similar alternative albums such as Slipknot's ".5: The Gray Chapter" and Korn's "Path of Totality." At the same time though, it can be paired with thrash metal releases in the same category as most of Metallica's other albums.

The album is no doubt timeless, but it looks like nobody will ever realize so. Sad to say the least.

If it's one of your favourites, don't be ashamed of the 5 stars. I was going to say you don't need to explain or justify it, but since you've reviewed it, you already have. And it's still better than S&M.
mlkpad14 wrote:
In response to all the reviews... my favorite songs from the album are the first 3 ("Frantic", "St. Anger", and "Some Kind of Monster." Maybe the album doesn't really deserve 5 stars, but it's 5 stars to me - cause despite its poor quality, it just really works. It remains one of my favorites.
2 months ago
Agreed. Love it. So underrated!
siLLy puPPy wrote:
2 months ago
Well, despite your 5 stars i don't foresee this replacing Master Of Puppets as the most highly rated Metallica album of all time! LOL
martindavey87 wrote:
2 months ago
Never thought I'd see this album get a five-star rating from anyone, but fair play to ya. Personally I like it, and rate it 3/5. It has it's faults that everyone is aware of, but that doesn't change the fact that some of the songs are still good.

But five stars?! :-p

2 months ago
You're right, it's absolutely a timeless album.

But for all the wrong reasons.

Since 2003, this album has been one of a few go to benchmarks for poor quality when it comes to metal albums.

Would that be the case if this didn't have the Metallica name on it? Possibly not, because something that sounds this poor wouldn't have made much of a blip on the metal scene without all that prior history of the band to carry it to the dubious recognition it has now.

2 months ago
Good first review, I am also one of the few who enjoys this album. I think there is a bit of filler, but "Frantic" is such a great song imo.

Decibel Casualties Thrash Metal