I remember being a very happy bunny when this album was being released, because not only did Symphony X have a new album, but so did Dream Theater (Systematic Chaos). I wasn't the biggest fan of the single they released from this album (Serpent's Kiss), but I knew that I would have to digest the rest.
When I first heard it, I thought it very cheesy, and I wasn't really overblown by it. But it really does sink in to your head.
I love this album now. It is definetly one of their best (coming close to V, but never accomplishing that masterpiece).
One thing I did notice about this album is that is mammothly heavy.
This album is so well produced that every riff Michael Romeo plays just hit's you in the face.
Their is also a very Megadeth influence present in this album (having earlier toured with them on Gigantour).
This album is also a concept album, based on John Milton's Paradise Lost, but if you are interested by this story, another masterpiece of an album based on this poem is Cradle Of Filths Damnation & A Day, which I do favour more than this album.
1. Ocuclus Ex Inferni - Wow, this was all done with computers? Yes, this is one of the greatest intros I have ever heard in an album. 10/10
2. Set The World On Fire (The Lie Of Lies) - Wow, what a kick in the face. Russell's vocals just sound so aggressive but so epic and mastery. Incredibly fantastic chorus. 10/10
3. Domination - This song is very cheesy but incredible at the same time. Amazing guitar work and overall it's just a perfect metal song. 10/10
4. Serpent's Kiss - I wasn't the biggest fan of this song, but I really do like it now. Amazing vocals from Russell. 9/10
5. Paradise Lost - This albums Communion & The Oracle. Basically the ballad, but don't be put off, it does easily match Communion. So beautifull and amazing lyrics. 10/10
6. Eve Of Seduction - Again, I wasn't the biggest fan of this song, but as Justin Hawkins once said, "you're really growing on me." Great chorus and just amazing. 10/10
7. The Walls Of Babylon - Wow, what an intro. Yes, this build up in this song is amazing. Very chessy, but in such a good way. This song also has Russell's first experience with shrieking head voice. 10/10
8. Seven - Very kick ass. A bit too cheesy for my liking, but meh, who cares about how much cheese is in a song. 9/10
9. The Sacrifice - Another ballad esque song. Amazing vocals from Russel. 9/10
10. Revelation (Divus Pennae Ex Tragoedia) - Out of all their epics, I was expecting a little more, but this song does really bite the bulled. 10/10
CONCULSION: The headbanging quallity is worth the price alone. The songs are even better.