MINISTRY — Twitch

1. Just Like You (5:03)
2. We Believe (5:56)
3. All Day Remix (6:03)
4. The Angel (6:06)
5. Over the Shoulder (5:13)
6. My Possession (5:05)
7. Where You at Now? / Crash and Burn / Twitch (version II) (12:15)

Total time 45:41

Al Jourgensen / vocals and programming

Released by Sire Records on July 8th 1986.

Re-released on CD in 1991 with these bonus tracks:

CD Bonus tracks:
8. Over the Shoulder (12" version) (6:46)
9. Isle of Man (version II) (4:30)

Thanks to Unitron for the updates

Buy MINISTRY - TWITCH music

More places to buy metal & MINISTRY music

MINISTRY TWITCH reviews

Twitch is the - in my opinion sorely underrated - bridge between early Ministry and their later industrial metal form that debuted on The Land of Rape and Honey. When I say "early Ministry" here I don't mean the gothy synthpop stylings of their debut album, With Sympathy - nothing else in their discography really sounds like that - but instead the Ministry of their early singles, stuff like Everyday Is Halloween or All Day (the latter of which has a remix represented here). The album is very much on the EBM side of electronic industrial, but it's also on the harder-edged side of that - it'd just take someone picking up a guitar and matching the synth riffs on it to tip this over the edge into industrial metal.
Unitron
Ministry-Twitch

'Twitch' is the second studio album by Industrial metal band Ministry. Already we see Al Jourgensen heading in a different direction with his music. The metal still isn't here, but the New Wave/Synthpop is mostly gone replaced with an industrial/EDM sound. On this album there's almost a Electric Cafe-era Kraftwerk feel to it, being something I imagine playing at a dance-club.

The album starts out with the mechanical 'Just Like You'. This song shows a lot of sampling, and Jourgensen's vocals feel more aggressive then the previous album. A lot of the songs have a lot in common with 80's/90's Techno, like the song 'We Believe', which reminds me of early The Orb with it's pulsing space-like beats. I also hear some early Orbital, in this song and 'Over the Shoulder' with interesting use of drum machines. Perhaps this album was an influence on them.

Al Jourgensen's vocals definitely sound much more menacing, which is helped by the lyrics. Unlike the previous album, this album begins to show lyrical themes that would show up in later Ministry albums. Songs like 'My Possession' is a good example of this, with aggressive and rebellious lyrics like "I don't care what you say, about my moral ways, get on your knees and pray, cos you're slaves anyway". Sometimes the music does not fit these lyrics though, some of these lyrics working better with the style Ministry would soon develop.

Overall, I like this album unlike the previous. It helps that I really like electronic music, and I recommend this album to any fans of electronic music. However, for those interested in the Ministry that is known today, skip to the next album. A good album, but not for everyone.

Hope you found this review helpful.

Feel free to comment!

No MINISTRY TWITCH reviews posted by members yet.

• Paluvatar