CATHEDRAL — The Ethereal Mirror

CATHEDRAL - The Ethereal Mirror cover

Album · 1993

Filed under Stoner Metal
By CATHEDRAL

1. Violet Vortex (Intro) (1:55)
2. Ride (4:47)
3. Enter the Worms (6:05)
4. Midnight Mountain (4:55)
5. Fountain of Innocence (7:13)
6. Grim Luxuria (4:46)
7. Jaded Entity (7:53)
8. Ashes You Leave (6:22)
9. Phantasmagoria (8:44)
10. Imprisoned in Flesh (1:46)

- Lee Dorrian / vocals

track 3.7. by Dorrian , Lehan & Bianco
track 6 by Dorrian & Lehan
track 8 by Dorrian , Lehan & Jennings
track 9 by Dorrian , Lehan , Jennings & Bianco

Recorded at Manor Studios, Oxford.
produced by David Bianco, engineered by Shaun DeFeo.
Front Cover Artwork: Dave Patchett

European release: 1993, April 13th

Bonus tracks for Japan (and the Earache Records re-release):
11. Sky Lifter (Instrumental Version)
12. A Funeral Request (1993 Version)
Japan edition cat. # TKCK-88620 (Toy's Factory)

Re-released as a Dualdisc in May 2009 with "Statik Majik" EP as a bonus disc. The DVD side of the Dualdisc contains a 40 min brand new documentary with key original band members, filmed in Coventry in 2009, and also featuring interviews with infamous cover artist Dave Patchett. An in depth exploration of the formation of Cathedral, the recording of ‘The Ethereal Mirror’ and the growth of the band from humble beginnings to a major label deal.

Chapters of the documentary:

Thanks to Time Signature, UMUR, Unitron for the updates

Buy CATHEDRAL - THE ETHEREAL MIRROR music

The Ethereal MirrorThe Ethereal Mirror
Earache Records 2019
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 57h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & CATHEDRAL music

CATHEDRAL THE ETHEREAL MIRROR reviews

Although over time I have come to appreciate the early doom sound that Cathedral had on their debut - a style of comparatively purist doom metal flavoured and given a little extra edge by the band members' past experience in various extreme metal subgenres - the style wouldn't last long. Already, on their second album, you could hear the gear shift, with the band already moving away from traditional doom to the sort of good-natured stoner metal that would be their calling card for much of their subsequent career. This unfortunately puts more of a spotlight on Lee Dorrian's vocal performance, which frankly I find to be a turn-off, and the catchier, simpler, more accessible sound feels kind of vapid and empty to me if I'm being brutally honest.
arcane-beautiful
After their debut, this was a very gutsy move.

After making a landmark doom album, Cathedral decided to have a bit of a dramatic change, and take that disco doom element found in moments of their earlier material, and kind of put a spotlight on it. And it's pulled off magnificiently, with kick ass riffs and moments that will groove you to the bone. Now some people may think it's a bit of a joke at times, but it really isn't, it just works so well.

This album also seems to have a more Prog influence, with the longer tracks, being slightly shorter than their debut, being more diverse and compacted...and to be honest, kind of suprises you that all this was packed into an 7 to 8 minute song...and you kind of want more after it, but are still feeling fullfilled. The shorter songs on the other hand are more to the point and highly enjoyable.

I would say this is my 2nd favourite Cathedral album...and I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, but these songs are highly enjoyable and this album is too. The video's from this album are also worth checking out, expecially one in particular.

1. Vioet Vortex - Great intro. Very melodic and kick ass. 9/10

2. Ride - Kick ass song with some great lyrics. Chorus isn't too bad, although I've heard better Cathedral chorus'. 9/10

3. Enter The Worms - I love the chorus. It's such a diverse song with a load of interesting twists and turns. 10/10

4. Midnight Mountain - Please watch the video for this song, it's hilarious, and really highlights the disco doom element. Incredibly cheesy but it's so good. Killer kick ass grooves and riffs. 10/10

5. Fountain Of Innocene - One of Cathedral's most diverse songs. I thought this was going to be the generic Planet Caravan ripp off found on most upbeat doom bands albums, but it really transformed into something else. Full of exicitng twists and turns, and Lee's vocals really are very diverse. The instrumental sections are also amazing. 10/10

6. Grim Luxuria - A bit like a doomy rollercoaster. Very crazy at times with some killer riffs and moments. 9/10

7. Jaded Enitity - Love the intro. A very exciting song. Greatt riffs in the instrumental section. 10/10

8. Ashes You Leave - Great riffs and killer vocals. Not as diverse and exciting though. 8/10

9. Phantasmagoira - Evil intro. Very reminiscent of the 1st album with riffs like a trompling behemoth. 8/10

10. Imprisoned In Flesh = Very beautiful. Lee's vocals really are beautiful and amazing...to be honest, this song shocked me a bit. 10/10

CONCLUSION: My 2nd favourite Cathedral album...and I love Cathedral...and you will too!
Ride...

Genre: doom metal / stoner metal

It's got doom. It's got gloom. It's got groove. It's got melody. "The Ethereal Mirror" is my favorite Cathedral album. Although they have adopted a more uptempo and less doomy stoner metal style (I don't think stoner metal is really doom metal, so to me, the genre term "stoner doom" is a void [and kinda stupid] one), there are a lot of heavy, doom-ladden riff on this album, such as the mighty opening riff of "Enter the Worms", the intros to "Grim Luxuria", "Jaded Entity", and "Phantasmogoria". All of these tracks succesfully combine doom and groove, and all of the tracks on the album are groovy to some extent. As it happens, my favorite track is the intro track "Violet Vortex" - probably because it combines traditional doomy riff with catchy melodies.

While not the greatest singer in the world, I think Lee Dorrian does a great job on this album. His raw and weird vocal style just fits this sort of groovy and heavy music very well... as do the otherworldly imagery of his lyrics.

Most fans of "real" doom metal will probably prefer Cathedral's debut album to this one, but, if you're into groovy music as well, do yourself a favor and check out this gem.

No CATHEDRAL THE ETHEREAL MIRROR reviews posted by members yet.

• ian