NILE — Those Whom the Gods Detest

NILE - Those Whom the Gods Detest cover

Album · 2009

1. Kafir (6:50)
2. Hittite Dung Incantation (3:48)
3. Utterances of the Crawling Dead (5:09)
4. Those Whom the Gods Detest (8:06)
5. 4th Arra of Dagon (8:40)
6. Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld (3:32)
7. Yezd Desert Ghul Ritual in the Abandoned Towers of Silence (2:33)
8. Kem Khefa Khesef (6:18)
9. The Eye of Ra (5:00)
10. Iskander Dhul Karnon (6:40)

- Karl Sanders / Vocals, Guitars

Thanks to Vehemency, Unitron for the updates

Buy NILE - THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST music

Those Whom The Gods DetestThose Whom The Gods Detest
Nuclear Blast America 2012
Those Whom The Gods Detest (limited digipack) by Nile (2009-11-08)Those Whom The Gods Detest (limited digipack) by Nile (2009-11-08)
Nuclear Blast (2009-11-08)
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 70h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Nile Those Whom The Gods Detest NB22242 2009 Brand New Factory Sealed Nile Those Whom The Gods Detest NB22242 2009 Brand New Factory Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10h
Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest  (UK IMPORT)  CD NEW Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $10.93 Buy It Now 21h
Nile : Those Whom the Gods Detest CD (2013) Nile : Those Whom the Gods Detest CD (2013) USD $10.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (NEW CD) Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (NEW CD) USD $12.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest [New CD] Italy - Import Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest [New CD] Italy - Import USD $12.86 Buy It Now 7 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest NEW CD Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest NEW CD USD $9.76 Buy It Now 7 days
NILE - THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST NEW CD NILE - THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST NEW CD USD $11.92 Buy It Now 8 days
Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile Compact Disc Free Shipping! Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile Compact Disc Free Shipping! USD $16.36 Buy It Now 10 days
Nile  ‎– Those Whom The Gods Detest (brand new)         carl Nile ‎– Those Whom The Gods Detest (brand new) carl USD $16.95 Buy It Now 11 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (DigiPak Ltd Edition) [CD] Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (DigiPak Ltd Edition) [CD] USD $19.29 Buy It Now 14 days
NILE - THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST NEW CD NILE - THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST NEW CD USD $12.85 Buy It Now 14 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest - CD - New Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest - CD - New USD $12.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (DigiPak Ltd. Edition) - CD - New Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (DigiPak Ltd. Edition) - CD - New USD $18.21 Buy It Now 15 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (NEW CD DIGI) Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (NEW CD DIGI) USD $18.10 Buy It Now 18 days
NILE - Those Whom The Gods Detest - CD (Nuclear Blast 2009) NILE - Those Whom The Gods Detest - CD (Nuclear Blast 2009) USD $10.49 Buy It Now 19 days
Those Whom The Gods Detest - Nile Compact Disc Free Shipping! Those Whom The Gods Detest - Nile Compact Disc Free Shipping! USD $24.92 Buy It Now 19 days
NILE NILE "THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST" CD DIGIPACK NEW+ USD $30.21 Buy It Now 20 days
NILE THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST SEALED CD NEW NILE THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST SEALED CD NEW USD $5.63 Buy It Now 21 days
NILE NILE "THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST" CD DEATH METAL NEW+ USD $24.63 Buy It Now 21 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest [CD] Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest [CD] USD $11.65 Buy It Now 22 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest [CD] Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest [CD] USD $10.90 Buy It Now 22 days
Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest  (UK IMPORT)  CD Digipak NEW Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest (UK IMPORT) CD Digipak NEW USD $15.86 Buy It Now 23 days
Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest  (UK IMPORT)  CD Digipak NEW Nile-Those Whom the Gods Detest (UK IMPORT) CD Digipak NEW USD $14.53 Buy It Now 23 days
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (CD Used Like New) Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest (CD Used Like New) USD $10.86 Buy It Now 25 days
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest [New CD] Italy - Import Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest [New CD] Italy - Import USD $12.23 Buy It Now 29 days
Showing all 26 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 22h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & NILE music

NILE THOSE WHOM THE GODS DETEST reviews

"Those Whom the Gods Detest" is the 6th full-length studio album by US death metal act Nile. The album was released through Nuclear Blast Records in November 2009. It´s the successor to "Ithyphallic" from 2007. "Those Whom the Gods Detest" is the third studio album in a row produced by Neil Kernon (Nevermore, Macabre...etc.) and sound production wise there are many similarities between the three albums (the drum production is handled by Eric Rutan on this one though). Neil Kernon seems to be the perfect producer to bring out the best in Nile´s rather complex, busy, and at times chaotic soundscape. The sound production on "Those Whom the Gods Detest" is powerful, brutal and professionally crafted. Raw yet clear. But not clean in a way that takes away power or brutality.

Stylistically the material on "Those Whom the Gods Detest" is brutal and technically well played death metal. There´s an epic atmosphere to the music and Nile as usual incorporate middle eastern scales/notes/themes in the music. The latter elements compliment the ancient Epypt lyrical themes perfectly and are some of the defining elements of the Nile sound. The 10 tracks on "Those Whom the Gods Detest" are all well composed, intriguing, and powerful enough to tilt an elephant. The tracks are also relatively varied and given some spins they begin to stand out from each other. That´s not necessarily an everyday thing when we´re talking brutal death metal artists and their releases but Nile are one of the few exceptions to the rule. They both play crushingly heavy parts, mid-paced death metal grooves, and insanely fast-paced blast beating. There´s nothing this band can´t do.

The vocals are deep brutal growling but they are actually intelligible to a certain extent, which is a major plus in my book. The commanding and aggressive fashion they delivered in, is not exactly a problem either. Lead vocalist/bassist/guitarist Dallas Toler-Wade are occasionally complimented by guitarist Karl Sanders who delivers some additional (and more unintelligible) growling vocals. The riffs those two conjure up are brutal, razor sharp, and rather sophisticated for the genre but it´s the drumming by George Kollias that put the icing on the cake. The man is a phenomena. You can argue that he plays his two triggered bass drums a bit too much but it´s hard to argue that he doesn´t play them well. He has a way of making the music move forward in a powerful and aggressive fashion yet with a sophistication that puts him in a class of his own. In addition to his playing on the faster paced tracks it´s interesting to listen to his playing on the crushingly heavy and slow "4th Arra of Dagon" which perfectly showcases what he is also capable of when the pace is lowered.

Upon conclusion, Nile have with "Those Whom the Gods Detest" once again proven who are the kings of brutal technical death metal. Releasing several high quality death metal albums in a row is not something you´ll see many artists accomplice. They are one of the very few death metal acts that have a distinct sound and an overall concept that work wonders. Put on any Nile album and you would instantly be able to tell that it was Nile you were listening to. Now that is what seperates the leaders from the followers. Well crafted memorable compositions, excellent musicianship, and a powerful professional sound production. It´s hard to ask for much more than that. A 4.5 (90%) star rating is deserved.
voila_la_scorie
At the beginning of my new journey into extreme metal, I recalled the band Nile being mentioned a few times on MMA and decided to check them out. This album became my first acquisition and I have decided it will be only the first of a few.

Nile are a band that stick with an ancient Egyptian theme, and I think for many bands, commencing their careers with such a theme can be exciting because of all the possibilities they imagine ahead. However, a few albums later and the theme can start to run a little thin. Knowing that this is the band's sixth album, I had to wonder what stage in their theme's evolution I was at. Had they begun with a very strong emphasis on the Egyptian theme and then eased back on it? Had they almost dropped it and were now bringing it back a little? Did they more or less maintain the Egyptian theme at the same level? Until I hear more albums I will not know for sure. But here are my impressions of "Those Whom the Gods Detest".

First off, the Egyptian theme is mostly in the artwork, the song titles, and the lyrics, though at times we can hear what sounds like ancient brass, shamic chanting, ancient stringed instruments and percussion, and voices chanting or wailing. I like how the band has included these as additional colour and tone without relying too heavily on them. They don't fill or lead the song but add atmosphere and interest.

As a brutal death metal band you can expect some furious drumming. I have been really impressed with drummer George Kollias because he not only has perfected all the standard death metal chops of double kick bass, blast beats, and speedy fills, but he actually uses the his drum fills to emphasis beats. Usually drum fills replace beats by filling the space with a flurry of snare and tom activity. But Kollias strikes the toms hitting each drum hard first before letting the sticks do their dance on the skins. Instead of a drum fill going brrrr, prrrat-ta-tat (sorry for the crude omomatopeaia), Kollias does a brr-brr-brrah-brrat-tarr-trr-brr kind of thing. Yes, they way I write it sounds silly and there's probably a percussion speak term that describes it. Anyway, I enjoy listening to his drum tricks.

The guitar parts of the music are an interesting pallette of breakneck speedy riffs, mid-tempo crushing riffs, and slow, ponderous riffs that are so slow and heavy they are like the feet of a ressurected mummy dragging across the limestone slabs. Way back in the early days of thrash metal, it was common for guitarists to tremolo pick chords at high speeds while drummers had to stick with just fairly fast beats. These days, drumming techniques can allow drummers to play beats faster than the guitarists can keep up. So here we have some songs with mid-tempo riffs and high-speed percussion. I think Nile marry this combination with great skill here.

The vocals are really awesome. We have the tough, ragged throat brutal vocals, and deeper death growls, and also a share of the deep, gutteral, toilet-bowl-gurgling vocals. Some extreme bands vocalize everything in this deep rumble and the lyrics are completely incomprehensible. Nile use this method of vocalizing for effect and drop it in mid-sentence so that it's possible to still follow the lyrics if you listen carefully. I think it really works!

Last, the production quality is super sharp which is necessary for an album like this to succeed sonically. With all the percussive effects, the additional voices and so on, it's a real treat to hear them enhance the mood and music. The track called "Yezd Desert Ghul Ritual in the Abandoned Towers of Silence" has these fabulous slapping percussive instruments, deep growls like from a beast the size of Jabba the Hutt, swishing sounds, chanting, wailing, clinking, and an ancient stringed instrument. It's like listening to a scene from an Egyptian horror movie in THX in the movie theater.

For my first Nile album, "Those Whom the Gods Detest" has made a considerable impression. Before the summer is over I will be sure to add at least one more album to my collection and for sure a third before the year is out.
I'd always felt that Nile's consistency was both their great strength and their great weakness; in general, you know exactly what you're going to get out of a Nile album, but equally that means that their albums can get a bit interchangeable, and I felt that for much of their career they'd basically been rehashing the general approach of Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka.

I was pleased, then, when on hearing Those Whom The Gods Detest I discovered that they had upped the brutality appreciably - and considering how thunderously brutal their work usually is, that's saying something. It's a small gear shift which nonetheless has a big payoff, and makes this feel like a significant culmination of the band's musical growth.

NJCat_11
This is NILE.

As they say in many sports: Do what works until it doesn't work anymore. That's the underlying principle to this album. Nile has certainly proved themselves as "a towering metal monolith; an icon which will inspire new growth and which casts a shadow on nearly all competition" prior to this album, and therefore, my opinion that they haven't brought anything new to the mix with "Those Whom the Gods Detest" should not be interpreted as a bad thing. Nile works the same Egyptian magic that they always have, making for yet another incredible album in a magnificent discography.

This album is exactly what you would expect from any Nile album, and if you are new to Nile, any of their last three albums (this one included) make for great starting points. As for "Those Whom the Gods Detest", this is Nile doing what works, and damn well at that.

• Alex