Mandylion
THE GATHERING

THE GATHERING - Mandylion cover

Album · 1995

Filed under Gothic Metal

1. Strange Machines (6:04)
2. Eléanor (6:41)
3. In Motion #1 (6:56)
4. Leaves (6:01)
5. Fear the Sea (5:49)
6. Mandylion (5:01)
7. Sand and Mercury (9:57)
8. In Motion #2 (6:07)

Bonus disc: Demos
1. In Motion #1 (7:27)
2. Mandylion (4:41)
3. Solar Glider (instrumental) (4:35)
4. Eléanor (6:38)

- Hugo Prinsen Geerligs / Bass
- Hans Rutten / Drums

Label: Century Media Records
Release Date: August 22, 1995

2 CD version released by Century Media in 2005. It consists of demo recordings and the music video for "Leaves".

Thanks to Stooge for the updates

THE GATHERING MP3, Free Download/Stream

No THE GATHERING MP3s available for streaming.

Buy THE GATHERING - MANDYLION music

0 results found for "gathering the" mandylion
Retry your search with "gathering the" on eBay.com website
0 results found for "GATHERING THE" mandylion
Retry your search on Amazon.com website
No items found | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & THE GATHERING music

THE GATHERING MANDYLION reviews

Now, this is gothic metal I can get behind. On the one hand you have the vocals of Anneke van Giersbergen, whose approach on this album is quite reminiscent of Julianne Regan's work in the great All About Eve, and on the other hand, you have a musical backing which often attains the same sort of wistful atmosphere as All About Eve - but through chunky, doomy riffs instead of hippified goth rock.

Put them together, and you create an intriguing blend which steers away from straight-ahead doom metal by virtue of its alternative rock and goth rock influences. As far as gothic metal goes, Mandylion is the first album I ever heard which really succeeded at fusing what I enjoy about goth rock - the brooding romanticism and emotional rawness - with a metal approach which supports and nurtures those factors. Great stuff.
In motion...

Genre: doom metal

I think the music on this album is no less than beautiful. Of course, a lot of this has to do with Anneke Van Giersbergen's amazing vocals, but the music itself, while simple, is very emotionally loaded and expresses a type of unique melancholy and desperation. Part of this is achieved through semi-slow tempos and doomy guitar riffs combined with melodies and synthesizer effect - and of course the vocals. If anything, "Mandylion" shows that music does not have to be complex to be a pleasure to listen to (I guess U2's older records show that same thing).

Highlight tracks for me are "Strange Machines", "Eleanor" and the title track, but there is really something special about all the tracks on this melodic doom metal classic.

I think the album will appeal mostly to fans of doom metal and gothic metal, but perhaps fans of melodic rock and alternative rock might like it too.
bonnek
Mandylion is an album that has been a true and trusty companion from the moment it was released. I often return to it, not only because it moves me every time, but also because it serves as a touchstone that can be used to test many styles of rock music against.

Let’s start with the vocals, the most obvious asset of this Dutch doom metal outfit. For me, Anneke Van Giersbergen vocals are the most expressive, commanding and beautiful vocals ever to grace a rock music. On later albums she would become more versatile but here she is in full epic glory. Yet she sings so gracefully and spontaneous, never straining her voice, never overdoing it. She’s pure emotion and melody. Her vocals are the benchmark for any vocalist attempting this style.

The playing skills of the rest of the band are often criticized. Obviously they do not attempt anything that demands advanced studies in musical proficiency, but that is not the issue I’d say. The point these guys are making here is how their instruments can be applied to maximize the perfection of the songs.

Don’t get me wrong. Most of the music I listen to has a high musical complexity, but for me the emphasis on serving musicianship here gives a refreshing view that will filter out all self-important bragging from my CD collection. Not only that. It also works in the opposite direction. Not much ‘easy’ rock music works for me, so whoever wants to impress me with basic chord progressions will have Mandylion’s standard to live up to.

The Gathering surpassed this album with their later and more diverse album If Then Else from 2000. But this one will be most appealing to (doom) metal-heads.

No THE GATHERING MANDYLION reviews posted by members yet.

• musiclover60sn70s