DARKTHRONE — Under a Funeral Moon

DARKTHRONE - Under a Funeral Moon cover

Album · 1993

Filed under Black Metal
By DARKTHRONE

1. Natassja in Eternal Sleep (3:35)
2. Summer of the Diabolical Holocaust (5:20)
3. The Dance of Eternal Shadows (3:45)
4. Unholy Black Metal (3:32)
5. To Walk the Infernal Fields (7:52)
6. Under a Funeral Moon (5:08)
7. Inn i de dype skogers favn (5:27)
8. Crossing the Triangle of Flames (6:12)

Nocturno Culto - Vocals, Bass

Under A Funeral MoonUnder A Funeral Moon
PEACEVILLE 2017

More places to buy metal & DARKTHRONE music

DARKTHRONE UNDER A FUNERAL MOON reviews

Darkthrone have described the album previous to this, A Blaze In the Northern Sky, as having a black metal attitude and death metal riffs. Perhaps that's why Under a Funeral Moon feels like such a transitional album, since it was recorded as a conscious attempt to change gears into a more purely black metal approach - complete with stripped-down production values for extra kvltness. The end results are rather mixed, but eventually won me over simply because of the unusual take on the subject matter.

Lyrically, alongside the Satanic aggression that's par for the course in black metal there's also healthy doses of depression, alcoholism, and a curious sort of eroticism - all three of which playing a prominent role in the opening track, Natassja In Eternal Sleep - and these curious themes creep their way into the music, with the lo-fi production often resulting in a subdued guitar sound which is in keeping with the depressive, contemplative ideas being played with. Still, Under a Funeral Moon suffers from being kind of on the fence - A Blaze In the Northern Sky was well-produced and showed technical proficiency, Transilvanian Hunger is one of the most "kvlt" black metal albums ever and has the production values of a train accident, whilst Under a Funeral moon sits between the two extremes, neither one nor the other. One for the devotees.
Under a Funeral Moon is the 3rd full-length studio album by Norwegian black metal act Darkthrone. The album was relased by Peaceville Records in June 1993. Under a Funeral Moon is the last Darkthrone album to feature guitarist Zephyrous. On all subsequent releases the band would be a duo consisting of Nocturno Culto on vocals, bass and guitar and Fenriz on drums.

The music on the album is raw and simple black metal. The production is lo-fi and thin, the vocals are raspy and the playing is rather sloppy. In other words Old school Norwegian black metal. This is just about everything that the more polished melodic/ symphonic part of the black metal genre is not. The band´s 2nd full-length studio album A Blaze in the Northern Sky (1992) was a major step in the direction of black metal and a step away from the death metal style of their debut album Soulside Journey (1991), but the conversion from a death metal act to a black metal act is complete on Under a Funeral Moon.

Under a Funeral Moon is generally considered a classic old school Norwegian black metal album. It was groundbreaking when it was released and it has inspired legions of acts since. Unfortunately I´m one of those people who really enjoyed their debut album and who had and still has a hard time accepting their change in style. I was shocked back then to say the least and I´ve spend the last 15 - 20 years trying to understand why a technically well playing and rather unique death metal act opted for a change into a sloppy, primitive and badly produced black metal act. Now don´t get me wrong because I have nothing against black metal if it´s well composed and well played. Lo-fi productions can even work for me in some cases, but the music on this album is tiresome and one-dimensional. The songs are not only badly composed and monotone, the playing is simply so sloppy that I cringe with embarrasment. The drumming is especially bad. So call it a classic album with true black metal attitude all you want, I call it a weak, trivial, badly produced effort by a band who had already proven that they could do much, much better. I can´t believe how many times I´ve tried to listen to this album thinking that I might understand what the fuzz was all about. The result has been the same every time though and this was probably the last chance I´ll give Under a Funeral Moon. A 2 star rating is warranted.

No DARKTHRONE UNDER A FUNERAL MOON reviews posted by members yet.

• Purple Haze

Bosh66· 1 day ago
Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 5 days ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS