DARKTHRONE — Under a Funeral Moon (review)

DARKTHRONE — Under a Funeral Moon album cover Album · 1993 · Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Under a Funeral Moon is the 3rd full-length studio album by Norwegian black metal act Darkthrone. The album was relased by Peaceville Records in June 1993. Under a Funeral Moon is the last Darkthrone album to feature guitarist Zephyrous. On all subsequent releases the band would be a duo consisting of Nocturno Culto on vocals, bass and guitar and Fenriz on drums.

The music on the album is raw and simple black metal. The production is lo-fi and thin, the vocals are raspy and the playing is rather sloppy. In other words Old school Norwegian black metal. This is just about everything that the more polished melodic/ symphonic part of the black metal genre is not. The band´s 2nd full-length studio album A Blaze in the Northern Sky (1992) was a major step in the direction of black metal and a step away from the death metal style of their debut album Soulside Journey (1991), but the conversion from a death metal act to a black metal act is complete on Under a Funeral Moon.

Under a Funeral Moon is generally considered a classic old school Norwegian black metal album. It was groundbreaking when it was released and it has inspired legions of acts since. Unfortunately I´m one of those people who really enjoyed their debut album and who had and still has a hard time accepting their change in style. I was shocked back then to say the least and I´ve spend the last 15 - 20 years trying to understand why a technically well playing and rather unique death metal act opted for a change into a sloppy, primitive and badly produced black metal act. Now don´t get me wrong because I have nothing against black metal if it´s well composed and well played. Lo-fi productions can even work for me in some cases, but the music on this album is tiresome and one-dimensional. The songs are not only badly composed and monotone, the playing is simply so sloppy that I cringe with embarrasment. The drumming is especially bad. So call it a classic album with true black metal attitude all you want, I call it a weak, trivial, badly produced effort by a band who had already proven that they could do much, much better. I can´t believe how many times I´ve tried to listen to this album thinking that I might understand what the fuzz was all about. The result has been the same every time though and this was probably the last chance I´ll give Under a Funeral Moon. A 2 star rating is warranted.

Somehow I knew I was gonna get some comments on that review :-)
Vehemency wrote:
Always interesting to see reviews that don't rely completely on saying "it's a classic so 5 stars warranted" hehe!

Sidetracked / The Seeker Hardcore Punk
Sidetracked / Living Room Hardcore Punk
Sidetracked / Suppression Hardcore Punk
Sidetracked / Suppression Hardcore Punk
SUPPRESSION
Fractured Landscape Hardcore Punk
SUPPRESSION

OCEANS OF SLUMBER - Winter (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
OCEANS OF SLUMBER