CLUTCH — Clutch (review)

CLUTCH — Clutch album cover Album · 1995 · Stoner Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
Kingcrimsonprog
Clutch’s eponymous, second full length studio album, was the first album by the band to fully sound like Clutch all the way through and is an unquestionable classic record and must have for fans. Released back in 1995, the record picked up some considerable stoner influences to add into the band’s sound and has went on to become one of the public’s favourite and most celebrated albums by the band.

The band themselves are all gifted musicians and unique songwriters full of weird ideas, with some absolutely remarkable and creative lyrics and vocal performances courtesy of the amazing front man Neil Fallon. Put simply, Clutch are an astonishingly enjoyable band to listen to and the sort of band who put an amused smile on your face as often as they impress you musically.

In terms of production, this self-titled record was a big improvement over their earlier material and the band have managed to capture the feel of the band sound great from beginning to end.

Musically; this is almost a fifty-fifty split between fairly energetic oddball rock songs and impressive, muso-friendly jamming; the sort of hypnotic, use-a-whole-bunch-of-guitar-effects music that Tim Sult is so skilled at making sound like a fun jam rather than a giant extended guitar solo.

Stand out tracks include the absolutely storming `Animal Farm,’ which is powerful and rousing, as well as the engaging `I Have The Body Of John Wilkes Booth,’ ‘Texan Book Of The Dead,’ and the very heavy and unusual `Tight Like That.’

Overall; this record is an essential Clutch release that no fan should be without an fairly representative of the band and their intentions as a whole. Every Clutch album since has added something new or different to the formula but always held a core set of goalposts based on this record so theoretically, if you like anything else the band have done, you’ll like this.

Been really getting into Clutch recently, love 'Animal Farm' and 'Spacegrass' from this one especially.

Get Loud! Hardcore Punk