SAXON — Thunderbolt (review)

SAXON — Thunderbolt album cover Album · 2018 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Nightfly
For many it will always be those early albums like Wheels Of steel, Strong Arm Of The Law and Denim And Leather that define Saxon’s status as one of the UK’s greatest heavy metal bands. In truth though, apart from a few glitches along the way, mainly late 80’s, Saxon have been churning out high quality metal albums all the way with some even matching those early classics like 2015’s Battering Ram.

Thunderbolt is another winner with the band on fine form aided by an in your face production, a bit more organic sounding than the last one, Battering Ram. It’s the usual mixture of fast and mid paced traditional metal with the occasional slow one (Sons Of Odin) full of compelling guitar riffs that hit hard and immediately with minimum fuss. The title track is a killer as is the Motorhead tribute They Played Rock and Roll – both Saxon at their up tempo best. I’ve always liked Nigel Glockler’s inventive drumming who as usual drives the band with mechanical precision. Biff Byford is still on incredibly fine vocal form, especially for a man of his age and has only lost a bit of his range over the years. He brings in Amon Amarth vocalist Johan Hegg on Predator for a bit of growl assistance but he can’t hold a candle to Biff. It’s all good stuff with only Roadies’ Song being a bit under par but even that in a lesser bands hands would be considered a success.

Overall then Thunderbolt is another great album to add to Saxon’s already impressive discography that any fan of the band is sure to be delighted with.

Nightfly wrote:
9 months ago
Yes for a band going so long they haven't gone wrong too often.
9 months ago
Fantastic album, and I agree with the majority of Saxon's output. The only real dud they made was Destiny, other than that they really don't have a bad album.

Obscene Metalcore
Geroaren Haziak Groove Metal
KHOUS
Up From The Ashes Heavy Metal
SOULHEALER

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL