CHIMAIRA — The Age of Hell (review)

CHIMAIRA — The Age of Hell album cover Album · 2011 · Groove Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Double-D
The godfathers of the so called "New Wave Of American Heavy Metal" are back! For some reasons Chimaira didn't reach the success they deserved which is really poor because they have their own unique style that puts the band above the cliches of mediocre metalcore often labeled to their music.

The Age Of Hell is their sixth studio record. There are some line-up changes but the core of the band consisting of guitarist Rob Arnold and vocalist Mark Hunter are still here so all the typical Chimaira elements have found their place on the album. Of course as usual they added some new nuances to their music. In contrast with it's predecessor The Age Of Hell is much more diversed and complex. In fact the album is some kind of combination between "Resurrection" and "The Infection". All songs clock around 4 minutes. The exception is the great closing instrumental track called "Samsara".

The production of the album is clean and powerful. Rob performs some really impressive guitar solos and Mark alongside with his typical aggressive harsh vocals makes some clean parts where the vocal harmonies remind of Alice In Chains.

With The Age Of Hell Chimaira prove themselves as one of the most innovative bands in metal music today. I really hope they'll get the reaction this fantastic album deserves. The Age Of Hell is highly recommended to all open-minded metal fans.

Collapsed Home Metalcore