RUSH Power Windows

Album · 1985 · Non-Metal
Modrigue
... Or how RUSH went down. One of their most cheesy albums.

The Canadian trio changed their musical direction roughly every 4 albums, managing to adapt, to evolve and to create their own style. "Power Windows" started a new musical direction period after "Grace Under Pressure". However, the magic and the progressive craft are now gone... No catchy heavy riffs, no epic moments, no futuristic synthesizer or no jazz-rock passages either. All tracks here sounds similar, poppy and commercial. The second half of the 80's has not been quite a favorable period for RUSH, as for most 70's progressive rock bands.

The Canadians will a little rectify their musical style four years later, with "Presto" and "Roll the Bones"...

1 year ago
I think Prime Mover is the one track from Hold Your Fire that I always include on mixed Rush playlists that include 80's material.
1 year ago
I enjoy Hold Your Fire. Especially Prime Mover, which is one of my favorite Rush tracks. I´ve never been able to enjoy neither Presto nor Roll the Bones save for a couple of tracks on each. I guess I´m a sucker for 80s synths LOL :-)
1 year ago
Yeah, I can't get excited about Roll the Bones so much. Presto has some pretty decent tunes but Roll the Bones is a half step back in my opinion.
1 year ago
I like this one too. I'm on the same page with Hold Your Fire though, to me that and Roll the Bones are their worst albums.
1 year ago
The Rush lads actually praise this album, especially Neil. I can appreciate what he's saying from a recording stand point but I really don't dig it unless I'm in the mood to hear that bright, shiny, synth-driven eighties pop-prog sound. For me though, Hold Your Fire is the album I most struggle to enjoy.
1 year ago
I like this one. It´s among my favorites from the band.

The Light Atmospheric Black Metal