LEE AARON — Power, Soul, Rock N' Roll - Live In Germany (review)

LEE AARON — Power, Soul, Rock N' Roll - Live In Germany album cover Live album · 2019 · Hard Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
Kev Rowland
It is strange to realise that this is the first official live album from Lee Aaron, given that she has been fairly constant on the live circuit and released the anthem ‘Metal Queen’ back in 1984! During her 2017 German tour the concerts at Balingen and Nuremberg were recorded and now form the basis of this CD-DVD set in Digipak. Given I haven’t heard any of her material for some years I was somewhat surprised just how well her well-known numbers have aged, and the new material certainly doesn’t sound out of place beside them. This is the same as it always was, commercial hard rock with some great hooks and a singer who wants to be taken seriously for her music and not just her looks, although it must be said THAT magazine cover from 1983 did her image both harm and good at the same time.

Muscially this album feels a little like a dirty secret, no-one wants to admit owning it or even liking it but put on “Metal Queen” and it is impossible not to have a smile on your face. But I found I was really enjoying a lot of the material here, with “Tomboy”, "Barely Holdin On" and "Whatcha Do to My Body", in particular really standing out. I’m still not sure of the opener, her take on “Mistreated” as it doesn’t really work for her style but she has balls for going for it. All in all a fun album, and sometimes that is what we really want from our music.

Oh, and no, sadly it wasn't THAT magazine. I had some other magazine with a sexy cover but not that sexy!
I remember reading that she used to change costume on stage behind a backlit screen, a kind of shadow strip tease. Word got out that she was stripping on stage. When they were going to record the first album with guest musicians, Rik Emmett of Triumph actually refused the invitation at first, thinking it was some sleaze rock band that he didn't want to be associated with.
Tupan wrote:
The cover for Oui Magazine?...
Ehm...well that cover was certainly worth a Google search ;-)
I think I used to have THAT magazine and for the cover! I loved Lee Aaron back in the day. She got a little too mainstream for my taste but I still have a compilation album of hers. I heard many years ago now that she was living in Vancouver and singing jazz. It looks like someone decided to get back to her roots. Good for her!

Spirituality and Distortion Avant-garde Metal