PANTERA — Official Live: 101 Proof (review)

PANTERA — Official Live: 101 Proof album cover Live album · 1997 · Groove Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
I don’t really like live albums. The few that I do, I very rarely listen to. I’ve just always been a studio albums kind of guy. And that’s for the bands I like. So what does that leave for a band like Pantera? Their live album, 1997’s oddly-titled ‘Official Live: 101 Proof’ doesn’t stand a chance.

Pantera are one of those bands that I just don’t get. Highly revered and beloved amongst metal fans, their albums hold up as some of the greatest of all time... but they’re really not. I find each album has a couple of excellent tracks, such as ‘Cowboys from Hell’, ‘Cemetery Gates’, ‘Walk’ and ‘Revolution is My Name’, and then a whole load of filler tracks. But it’s those singles that manage to keep the bands reputation intact.

This album mostly mixes the two. There’re a handful of tracks I enjoy, and then a load that I don’t. But I’d just much rather listen to the studio version. For what it’s worth, the production is good, with the band sounding incredibly energetic, raw and aggressive, and Phil Anselmo is a crazy frontman who’s between-tracks waffling can be fairly entertaining.

But overall... no. This just doesn’t work for me.

While I have all of Pantera’s groove metal output (from 1990’s ‘Cowboys from Hell’ and onwards’), the truth is, their 2003 greatest hits compilation, ‘Reinventing Hell’, is pretty much the only album I need.

1 year ago
Each ti his own.

For me, this is (no hyperbole) one of the best cds I've ever heard, by anyone, no caveats.

Illumination Through Necromancy Doom Metal