BLACK FLAG In My Head

Album · 1985 · Hardcore and crust
Much of In My Head was actually recorded before the preceding album, Loose Nut. In My Head was recorded in sessions spanning from October 1984 to March 1985, Loose Nut was recorded as part of the March 1985 sessions along with The Process of Weeding Out EP, and some tracks from the cassette and CD versions of this album that later got an independent release as the I Can See You EP. However, In My Head was held back from release a little - partly because apparently Greg Ginn was contemplating releasing it as his first solo album, before the decision was made to just make it another Black Flag release.

So, what to make of the penultimate recorded and final released Black Flag album? (Let us not be fooled by the soulless cash-in which is "What the...?") Well, it's pretty much Slip It In Part 2, with the various unusual influences that Slip It In worked on incorporating into their baseline hardcore punk style further honed, and a decidedly Minutemen-esque sense of off-kilter experimentation continuing. It's somewhat more successful than Slip It In too - it doesn't have any missteps on the level of Rat's Eyes, for instance - making it perhaps the best album of Black Flag's experimental phase, just as Damaged was their best pure hardcore album and My War was their best proto-sludge/doom album.

The Barn Mathcore