METATRONE — Eucharismetal (review)

METATRONE — Eucharismetal album cover Album · 2016 · Power Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Kev Rowland
Metatrone started life as Metafora back in 1997, but some four years later keyboard player Davide Bruno decided that he wanted to become a priest. After much debate within the band, the decision was taken to change the name to Metatrone (which means "God is since now and forever"), and they started to write power-prog metal songs deeply inspired by a Christian Catholic view of life and human being. This 2016 album is their fourth studio album, and is a huge head and shoulders above anything else I have heard in the Christian music scene (although to be honest I do listen to way more Black Metal than I do White Metal). Some songs are in English, and some in Italian, but even though Jo Lombardo is a great singer, it is to the music that the ear is taken. The new rhythm section of Dino Fiorenza (bass, Billy Sheehan, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, John Macaluso)) and Salvo Grasso (drums, Hypersonic, DenieD) have slotted right in, and provide a heck of a platform for the rest to play against - some of the plucked bass runs are just amazing - and Davide and guitarist Stefano Calvagno have relished the opportunity.

Fast and furious with loads of interplay, one soon forgets that this is a Christian album and instead just relishes the opportunity to lose some dandruff. They have been kicking up a storm on the Christian festival circuit, but with this album they have pushed straight into the mainstream, and fans of the likes of Savatage and Angra should be seeking these guys out, no matter their view on religion.

We Suffer In Silence Metalcore
Dyatlov Metalcore
JONESTOWN
Metamorphose Metalcore
JILUKA

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL