LOCUST LEAVES — A Subtler Kind of Light (review)

LOCUST LEAVES — A Subtler Kind of Light album cover Album · 2017 · Progressive Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
A brief burst of dark progressive metal - I'd even call it blackened progressive metal at points considering the influence it takes from the atmospheric black metal subgenre - Locust Leaves' debut album finds them tackling extremes of moods. Vocalist Nick K. varies between clean and harsher vocals to match the varying styles of the album, which hit a peak of aggression on the death metal-influenced Fall (Ptosi), but instrumentalist Helm is the MVP here, with the six minute ambient outro Flight (Ptisi) being an all-instrumental last word. It's an interesting and novel style and it makes me hope to hear more from the project.

Warthur wrote:
Yeah, it does kind of feel like it's building to something but then doesn't show us what that something is. We'll have to see whether they're going somewhere with this or not.
adg211288 wrote:
I love this album, one of my earliest five star reviews for this year. The more I listen to it the more I intend to agree with the two of you though. It does feel like there ought to be more to it (but what is here has gone a long way towards restoring my faith in newer progressive metal bands).
666sharon666 wrote:
I feel the same. It's like the first two tracks are the standard style of the album, then they throw in a more extreme track and then the last feels like it should be more of an interlude than a closing piece.
This is a good one. Far too short though. Feels almost like half an album to me.

Everything Hurts Metalcore
CULT OF LUNA

Carcosa - Trust
CARCOSA
Bosh66· 10 hours ago
From The Ashes - Overcome(Official Video)
FROM THE ASHES