Land of the Crimson Dawn
FREEDOM CALL

FREEDOM CALL - Land of the Crimson Dawn cover

Filed under Power Metal

1. Age of the Phoenix (3:37)
2. Rockstars (5:08)
3. Crimson Dawn (6:29)
4. 66 Warriors (5:20)
5. Back Into the Land of Light (5:39)
6. Sun in the Dark (4:49)
7. Hero on Video (3:50)
8. Valley of Kingdom (4:32)
9. Killer Gear (4:42)
10. Rockin' Radio (4:13)
11. Terra Liberty (4:09)
12. Eternity (4:23)
13. Space Legends (4:04)
14. Power and Glory (3:30)

Total time: 01:04:25

- Chris Bay / Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards
- Lars Rettkowitz / Guitars, Vocals (Backing)
- Samy Saemann / Bass, Vocals (Backing)
- Klaus Sperling / Drums, Vocals (Backing)

with
- Katharina Neumann / Piano (Track 3)
- Anne Maertens / Violin
- Dave Maier / Vocals (choirs)
- Chris Stark / Vocals (choirs)
- Dr. Daniel Haag / Vocals (choirs)
- Ecki Singer / Vocals (choirs)

Released by Nuclear Blast Records, February 24th, 2012.

Thanks to adg211288 for the addition and DippoMagoo for the updates

FREEDOM CALL MP3, Free Download/Stream

No FREEDOM CALL MP3s available for streaming.

Buy FREEDOM CALL - LAND OF THE CRIMSON DAWN music

Showing all 20 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
Land of the Crimson DawnLand of the Crimson Dawn
Extra tracks · Special Edition · CD+DVD
Steamhammer Us 2012

More places to buy metal & FREEDOM CALL music

FREEDOM CALL LAND OF THE CRIMSON DAWN reviews

Diogenes
Well, I have absolutely no idea what Freedom Call are trying to do anymore. Like, not even a clue. Everyone knows that they USED to play your typical over-the-top, cheeseball power metal, and were actually quite good at it. No, their music never had balls, but at least it was fun, catchy, and everything else that makes the European power metal scene so guiltily addicting. Unfortunately, their seventh studio album has none of that. In fact, it doesn’t really have much of anything. I’ll explain…

What makes this such a frustrating listen to me can be summed up pretty simply: there are fourteen tracks (which is too many, but that’s not the point), and yet only a handful can even be considered power metal; the rest are full of halfsy experimentation that’s more indicative of a band that’s out of ideas than one trying to move in a new direction. Now, this would be less of an issue if this wasn’t the third straight album in which Freedom Call were getting stuck somewhere between Euro power metal and radio pop rock, but it is. Just take a listen to “Rockin’ Radio” and tell me that the DJ voice and lyrics aren’t completely lame. “66 Warriors” sounds out of place at best; why are choirs even being used anymore? To cover up the lack of substance? I mean, they don’t even add anything. And, for a real treat, check out “Sun in the Dark”: a groove metal riff. Freedom Call, with a groove metal riff. That should seem like a good idea to no one, and not surprisingly, it doesn’t work at all.

Then, of course, there’s the one outlier: “Back Into the Land of Light,” with the triumphant horn intro, the sickeningly catchy guitar melody, and the anthemic chorus that makes you want to play it over and over again. You know, what you’d expect from a power metal album! But here, it sticks out like a sore thumb, as if to say, “Yeah, we still know how to write this type of music, and we might want to get back to it eventually”. To me, that screams lack of direction, as does the rest of this album. This brings us back to my main point: that Freedom Call have been stuck in this transitional phase for several years now, and while this track is good, it does nothing but muddy the album’s focus, having just as little place as the rest of the uninspired material. There are a few better tracks toward the end of the album, too, but by then it’s far too late to lift it back up from the depths of boredom-land.

Everything else about this album is fine. The production is fine (the vocals might be too loud, but Chris Bay is a good singer, so whatever). The art is fine. The song titles are not lifted from other bands (a la Circle of Life). It’s all set up for Freedom Call to make a heroic return to the world of power metal, but the band still doesn’t seem quite ready for that.

Bands change their sound. I get that. I encourage it, even; I would have been just as confused if Freedom Call just released Stairway to Fairyland for the seventh time over. But here’s the thing: the experimentation on Land of the Crimson Dawn isn’t even interesting. It doesn’t sound like the band is taking risks, or is even genuinely interested in trying something new. Rather, it seems like Freedom Call is simply going through the motions, releasing a new album because Steamhammer told them to without having the faintest idea of what to put on it. Mediocre at best, again.

No FREEDOM CALL LAND OF THE CRIMSON DAWN reviews posted by members yet.

• DippoMagoo

Dawn of the Dude Thrash Metal
CROSS EXAMINATION
Piling Up Death Metal
THOSE WHO BRING THE TORTURE

Pendragon - Indigo (live)
PENDRAGON