BLUT AUS NORD — The Work Which Transforms God

BLUT AUS NORD - The Work Which Transforms God cover

Album · 2003

1. End (1:52)
2. The Choir of the Dead (6:40)
3. Axis (3:36)
4. The Fall (1:32)
5. Metamorphosis (5:22)
6. The Supreme Abstract (2:59)
7. Our Blessed Frozen Cells (7:55)
8. Devilish Essence (2:07)
9. The Howling of God (6:18)
10. Inner Mental Cage (2:55)
11. Density (0:18)
12. Procession of the Dead Clowns (9:55)

Information missing - contribute to MMA, by filling this information using the left menu member zone link "Edit album infos". This function is only available to MMA Collabs.

Originally released in March 17, 2003 by Adipocere Records.

Re-released in 2005 by Candlelight records with the 'Thematic Emanation of Archetypal Multiplicity' EP on a bonus disc.

Thanks to Wilytank for the updates

Buy BLUT AUS NORD - THE WORK WHICH TRANSFORMS GOD music

The Work Which Transforms GodThe Work Which Transforms God
CANDLELIGHT RECORDS 2015

More places to buy metal & BLUT AUS NORD music

BLUT AUS NORD THE WORK WHICH TRANSFORMS GOD reviews

Mingling eerie ambient instrumental sections with brutal traditional black metal and capped off with the doomy epic of Procession of the Dead Clowns, The Work Which Transforms God finds Blut Aus Nord really showing their range. It's sufficiently rooted in black metal that if you don't like the chilly aesthetic of that scene you probably won't enjoy the album, and black metal purists might find the ambient sections boring, but if you're up for a blend of dark ambient and darker metal it's a confident, credible release which sets the scene for further experimentation from Blut Aus Nord later on down the line.

Yog Sothoth
With song titles like "The Choir of the Dead" and "Procession of the Dead Clowns", this is not an album to play as background music for bingo events or Sunday brunches. It's bleak, cold, unforgivable and downright mean sounding. The music is almost a miasma of buzzy guitars playing dissonant melodies propulsed by somewhat industrial sounding drum tracks that pinball between slow grooves and ripping blasts. Vocals are basically growls and screams that are completely indecipherable, along with some distant additional vocal tracks that sort of meander and weave in and out of the music along with some keyboards to add to the creepy aura. There are a few tracks that are essentially eerie interludes to keep the haunting vibe afloat before the next onslaught of hair- raising chord progressions kicks in.

The French black metal scene had some unique ideas and style going on the first decade of this century judging by this effort. The guitar playing in particular is played in an interesting fashion...such as two guitars deliberately tuned to be a bit 'off' from each other to create this sick sounding swarming insect sound...which reminds me of Deathspell Omega to some extent, although this Blut Aus Nord album just about predates DsO's incorporation of that dissonant aggression into their work. Normally the idea of programmed drums is a big turn off for me, but in this case they work. There's a surprising amount of creativity going on in the programming, as if the tracks were performed by some progbot software.

There are a few tracks that don't quite measure up to others here, but songs like "The Choir of the Damned" with its angry bizarre riffs and the impressive variations on display in "Our Blessed Frozen Cells" are just too damn good to deny. The last track ends things on an impressive note as well, sounding almost gorgeous in a weirdly majestic fashion. I'm no fan of stagnant by-the-numbers black metal, thus I found this to be a bit of a treat and it had a sound of its own when it was released. .

• TheHeavyMetalCat