Ashes Against the Grain

Album · 2006

Filed under Folk Metal

1. Limbs (9:51)
2. Falling Snow (9:38)
3. This White Mountain on Which You Will Die (1:39)
4. Fire Above, Ice Below (10:29)
5. Not Unlike the Waves (9:16)
6. Our Fortress Is Burning... I (5:25)
7. Our Fortress Is Burning... II: Bloodbirds (6:21)
8. Our Fortress Is Burning... III: The Grain (7:10)

- John Haughm / Vocals, acoustic & electric guitars, Drums
- Don Anderson / Acoustic & electric guitars
- Jason William Walton / Bass
- Ronn Chick / E-Bow, Keyboards, Piano

The End records (North America) and Grau/Prophecy records (Europe)

Thanks to waiting, triceratopsoil, IMPF2112 for the updates

AGALLOCH MP3, Free Download/Stream

Buy AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN music

Agalloch - ashes against the grain slipcase tenhi wolves in the throne room Agalloch - ashes against the grain slipcase tenhi wolves in the throne room USD $10.00 (0 bids)
USD $13.00 Buy It Now
47m
AGALLOCH - Ashes Against the Grain Rare 2006 Promo CD The End Records AGALLOCH - Ashes Against the Grain Rare 2006 Promo CD The End Records USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AGALLOCH - Ashes Against The Grain - 2 LP White Vinyl Record - Lim.Edition AGALLOCH - Ashes Against The Grain - 2 LP White Vinyl Record - Lim.Edition USD $5.00 (1 bids)
3 days
Ashes Against the Grain, Agalloch, New Ashes Against the Grain, Agalloch, New USD $11.95 Buy It Now 4 days
AGALLOCH Ashes Against the Grain CD AGALLOCH Ashes Against the Grain CD USD $0.99 (0 bids)
5 days
ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN BY AGALLOCH (CD) ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN BY AGALLOCH (CD) USD $17.60 Buy It Now 6 days
Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch *New CD* Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch *New CD* USD $6.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Ashes Against the Grain - Agalloch New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping Ashes Against the Grain - Agalloch New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $17.93 Buy It Now 6 days
Agalloch Agalloch " Ashes Against The Grain " Gatefold Double LP clear vinyl and poster USD $29.90 Buy It Now 8 days
Agalloch - ashes against the grain FREE SHIPPING slipcase wardruna negura bunget Agalloch - ashes against the grain FREE SHIPPING slipcase wardruna negura bunget USD $15.00 Buy It Now 9 days
AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN - NEW CD AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN - NEW CD USD $8.34 Buy It Now 11 days
AGALLOCH - Ashes Against The Grain AGALLOCH - Ashes Against The Grain USD $12.99 Buy It Now 13 days
AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN *   (VGC/NM) FREE POST! AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN * (VGC/NM) FREE POST! USD $14.24 Buy It Now 15 days
AGALLOCH AGALLOCH "Ashes Against the Grain" CD enslaved drudkh USD $16.15 Buy It Now 19 days
Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (CD, Aug-2006, The End) Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (CD, Aug-2006, The End) USD $13.95 Buy It Now 20 days
Agalloch, Ashes Against the Grain Audio CD Agalloch, Ashes Against the Grain Audio CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch CD Aug-2006 The End  NEW Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch CD Aug-2006 The End NEW USD $9.68 Buy It Now 24 days
Ashes Against The Grain - Agalloch 11665991 Ashes Against The Grain - Agalloch 11665991 USD $9.45 Buy It Now 25 days
AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN [CD NEW] AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN [CD NEW] USD $9.67 Buy It Now 25 days
AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN NEW CD AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN NEW CD USD $16.57 Buy It Now 25 days
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain CD Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain CD USD $13.59 Buy It Now 25 days
Agalloch: Ashes Against The Grain CD 2006 The End Records TE070 NEW Agalloch: Ashes Against The Grain CD 2006 The End Records TE070 NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 28 days
Agalloch Ashes Against the Grain Clear Orange 2LP IVS014(Limited to 400 copies) Agalloch Ashes Against the Grain Clear Orange 2LP IVS014(Limited to 400 copies) USD $199.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Showing all 23 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
Ashes Against the GrainAshes Against the Grain
The End Records 2006

More places to buy metal & AGALLOCH music

AGALLOCH ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN reviews

Sinkadotentree
I don't think they'll ever top "The Mantle" as there's something very special about that album, plus it was the first record i bought from this band. Still this one is a close second. And for my tastes i should probably like this a little more. It's heavier but we still get that atmosphere once in a while. "Limbs" really comes across as a straight-forward tune until it settles down with piano and atmosphere. Check out the guitar that joins in sounding off in the distance. Those sinister vocals will come and go. "Falling Snow" also has plenty of tempo changes. I like the clean vocal sections on this one. An amazing track that i never tire of. "The White Mountain On Which You Die" is a short piece with haunting waves of sound. "Fire Above, Ice Below" is another killer track that takes us on a journey. I really enjoy the guitar later on in this one. Waves and wind end it as it blends into "Not Unlike The Waves". How good is this when it kicks into gear. Another incredible song. "Our Fortress Is Burning...I" is melancholic as we hear the fire raging to open. "Our Fortress Is Burning...II-Bloodbirds" just sounds incredible. Just love the sound of the drums, bass and guitar. "Our Fortress Is Burning...III-The Grain" is the spacey and somewhat experimental soundscape to end the album. I can't give this less than 4.5 stars, just a brilliant follow-up to "The Mantle".
In the four year since their excellent The Mantle, the music scene had more than caught up with Agalloch's post-metal vision; other bands, such as the brilliant Isis, had even crafted superior works to that foundational piece. But those hoping that Ashes Against the Grain would show the newcomers how it was done may have found themselves disappointed. With less emphasis on acoustic guitars than on The Mantle, the band's sound becomes a lot more generic, and the compositions seem fairly uninspiring next to works by the likes of Isis and Pelican. It's a reasonable enough listen if you like post-metal, but at the same time I think most fans would expect more of Agalloch.
The Angry Scotsman
We have tracked Agalloch's progression through their EP's and albums, culminating in their absolute masterpiece, "The Mantle". One of the extremely few albums I would give a six star rating. So, what is a band suppose to do after something like that? Well, keep on moving of course.

With this album virtually all traces of black metal, (sans some vocals) have been removed, and polished off with a pristine sound quality. Much of the folky elements are also greatly toned down. The result is a more stripped down and straightforward Agalloch. This is their most post metal album yet, with lengthy compositions ripe with progression, builds, more riffs and nuanced songwriting than we've seen, and overall more streamlined feel. While this may be a natural progression, it thus lacks The Mantle's perpetual melancholy and bleakness. Think of The Mantle like a lake, while Ashes is a river.

With all that out of the way, this album begins strong with two of Agalloch's best songs, and the absolutely incredible "Falling Snow". A nice segue takes us into two nice post metal songs. "Not Unlike the Waves" has some great riffing and some true black metal high pitched, blood curdling shrieks. I'm talking out of Burzum's book here.

The album ends on a three piece suite, opposite of Pale Folklore. Really great stuff, and Bloodbirds is one hell of a powerful movement. Sadly, the album goes out on a lackluster note. More of a soundscape than a song, it is not bad at all but doesn't do much for me. I am sure it has its place and meaning, but just doesn't do it for me. Otherwise this is a pretty much perfect album.

Excellent album. Really, deserving of a 4.8 or 4.9

Four and Half Stars

Phonebook Eater
8/10

"Ashes Against The Grain" is one of the very best Agalloch albums.

Agalloch come back with an unbelievable, and extremely original album, "Ashes Against The Grain", the band's second best album, only to be second to "The Mantle".

Very different from the previous studio album, with "Ashes Against The Grain" Agalloch return to their Doom Metal style, leaving behind all the bleak, wintery folkish atmospheres and bringing up the spring, dreadful, but still dreamy atmospheres. The structure of the album is quite impressive and epic: almost all eight songs are long, and the three final songs are technically part of an even more epic song, "Our fortress Is Burning", which is acclaimed as one of the best Agalloch moments ever, even by me.

"Limbs" is a dark,long, and violent song, but with an epic and hopeful atmosphere that dresses it. Quite original in some moments, thanks especially to the beautiful guitars of John Haugm and Don Anderson, which always give a magic touch to the mood.

"Falling Snow" is a little more cheerful, even though the Black Metal vocals are a lot more present than the clean ones. Great chorus, great experimentation, this is another good one.

"This Mountain On Which You Will Die" is a shot instrumental, an interlude, that connects the first part of the album with the middle part.

"Fire Above, Ice Below" is possibly the song I least prefer; it just doesn't seem to be at the height of the two previous songs, even though the length of it would imply otherwise. Some moments are nice, but others just don't touch as much.

"Not Unlike The Waves" is probably my favorite song of the album. Everything of it is somewhat perfect; the chorus, the guitars, the verse, the experimentation, the vocals,the arrangements. Brilliant. No wonder they also made a music video for this one.

"Our Fortress Is Burning" is another masterpiece; in total, considering these three last songs as one, the length goes around twenty minutes; the first five are instrumental, very mellow, with interesting arrangements and arpeggios of the guitar. Bloodbirds(the second part) is maybe my least favorite, don;t know exactly why, since it maintains pretty much the same melody as before. The Grain is the third part of the song, like the first part instrumental, like the first part great.

There is also a bonus track, "Our Fortress Has Burned To the Ground", a sort of epilogue to the album. It's a nineteen minute ambient piece, with an interesting post apocalyptic atmosphere.

As a conclusion, this album really moved me, even though it has one defect; it is a little too long, and you get kind of tired of it. But still, I could easily define it as a masterpiece, a near perfect album.
Conor Fynes
'Ashes Against The Grain' - Agalloch (9/10)

This is Agalloch's third full-length release, and it signifies another development in the band's sound. While there is still ample amounts of folk music thrown into the mix here, there is not near as much as there was on Agalloch's crowning acheivement (and preceding work) 'The Mantle.' 'The Mantle' turned out to be one of my most moving, and profound musical experiences of all time, and while there is a much heavier, metallic sound here, I still hear the same, grief-stricken and uninhibited emotion here that made me fall in love with the music of Agalloch.

There is still the emphasis on texture and aesthetic here; don't get that wrong. The fact that the band uses more electric guitars now doesn't change the way they play at all. 'Ashes Against The Grain' does not work as an all encompassing album as much as a masterpiece should, but there are just too many moments of paralyzing beauty here that it would be unjust to give the music a rating of less than superb.

The haunting, almost-optimistic and resonating first notes of 'Limbs' really shows what the album is about. It's not about having a catchy chorus; it's about making an imprint on your heart, and being memorable as a result thereof. Anyone familiar with post-rock can expect something along the lines of a heavy 'Explosions In The Sky' with smatterings of acoustic instruments.

The main influence here (besides post-rock) is still black metal, and the vocals/lyrics are still the same, so if you loved or loathed them on any previous release, there shouldn't be any change expected.

The only true fault with the album is that it certainly does not mesh as well as it's predecessor. The ending 'epic' on the album also does not work as well as an epic should, although for what it is; 'Our Fortress Is Burning' is a fine collection of three very atmospheric and lush tracks. The album's closer is also worthy of note. 'The Grain' appears to have across many people as just being 'noise' and pointless. I actually found the track to be one of the most monumental and different pieces of music I've ever listened to.

The closest thing I can liken 'The Grain' to (as it sounds to my own ears) is an abrasive symphony of sounds, and it is all-too fitting as the album's close. Much of the album's content revolves around bleakness, and death; and the closing track sounds like death itself; coming to meet god. It is not human music as one would perceive it. It transcends traditional melody, rhythm, and form. It is best listened to at full volume with open ears. While it only took me a single listen to appreciate it, many others may not be willing to contend with something so 'noisy.'

'Ashes Against The Grain' is certainly a far cry from typical progressive rock, or even metal for that measure. There is very little showmanship here, although the musicianship is grand and thought provoking. Agalloch prove once again, that music is undoubtedly the closest thing the senses ever get to enlightenment. Majestic.
bonnek
My encountry wasn't love at first sight. It sure sounded interesting but at first I thought it to be too similar to Opeth. I couldn't be more wrong. Sure it has heavy and harsh parts mixed with gentle and melodic parts but the way this music flows is entirely different from Opeth.

What you get with Agalloch is an organic and spontaneous flow of music that goes through the motions step by step: it builds up tension and releases it, it works up from gentle atmospheric to big orgiastic climaxes. Opeth is much more mathematical: 4 bars loud, 8 bars of acoustics, 4 bars loud again 16 bars something else and so on. In fact, with reference to composition, Agalloch sits closer to bands like Anathema or Neurosis, who, even though they create a very different type of music, they both share that same natural flow.

The reason I spent so long on that argument is because it explains why you need to sit through this entire album in one go. Each individual song is great by itself but together they build up to something that is larger then life. Actually, despite the spare instrumentation this album contains the most epic music I’ve ever heard.

So I will avoid a track by track overview. The entire album is brilliant, the epic feel is out of this world but never bombastic, the chants are gorgeous and the production is at the same crystal clear, rough and organic. And I am quite sure there is not one other band that can be compared to them. What more do you need?
Any Colour You Like
The god of man may be a failure according to John Haughm, but this album is no failure by my standards. Agalloch's third full release, 2006's Ashes Against The Grain marks another twist in the evolution of the Agalloch sound. Almost gone are the full black metal assaults and folk-like acoustics of The Mantle and Pale Folklore, instead a heavy driving guitar tone propels the album towards the mountains at a galloping pace.

As usual, Haughm mixes whispered growls with cleaner vocal sections in an effort to allow the cutting lyrics to make even more of an impact upon the listener. The tone of the lyrical themes remain easily identifiable as Agalloch compositions, recycling themes of heathery, nature and paganism. Whilst this suits the tone of the music well, it does not develop anything substantial over previous releases. Of the tracks, several stand out; including the powerful and sometimes ethereal "Falling Snow", (which I may add, contains one of the best outros I've heard in a long time) and the epic riff monster "Not Unlike The Waves". The final two sections of "Our Fortress is Burning" are also very well done, combining typically dark Agalloch beauty, with an interesting and powerful ambient/drone movement. These sections help to give Ashes the Agalloch tone the band has become renowned for. However, there are several sections that grate with me somewhat. The opening track, "Limbs" and "Fire Above, Ice Below" lack a certain memorability that other Agalloch compositions usually ooze. They feel aimless, and while they carry the album well enough, both songs are far too long for my liking. Having said this, the album doesn't feel as long as The Mantle, and works surprisingly well as a whole given the few sub-par tracks.

I must again commend the lyrical content of the album, for it is not easy for vocals to portray the emotions that Agalloch's instrumentals develop. While Haughm's songwriting may seem somewhat stagnant compared to that of The Mantle, on overall reflection, the lyrics really do strike a chord with me. So, in conclusion, this is an essential purchase for all Agalloch fans, but I must warn that those wishing to 'get' Agalloch may do better to look elsewhere. Ashes Against The Grain is by no means perfect, it contains moments of sonic perfection, but it also contains some overdrawn sections that detract from the overall impact of the album.

SolarLuna96
This album is just... wow. It speeds though many genres including folk, ambient, black metal, and post metal. The first half of the first song, Limbs begins with a guitar cycling through multiple riffs until at about five minutes the vocals begin to paint a scene with the fine voice of John Haughm. What I really enjoy about his voice is that is can project many emotions flawlessly, and that he can do that through either growling or clean vocals, while many singers can only successfully use one style. Out of the forest, and into winter, Falling Snow continues the dark music that began the album except this time, more emotion seems to be put into the lyrics. Also, although still dark, Falling Snow seems to have a lighter hue than it's predecessor. The third song, This White Mountain On Which You Will Die, is a one minute ambient/noise track whose name comes from a lyric in Falling Snow. There is not much to say about this short track other than that it appears to be a segue from the “catchy” songs, to the more varied songs that follow it. The first of these songs, Fire Above, Ice Below. This song is probably the most ambitious track on the album as it cycles through many genres for the duration of ten minutes. It begins with folkish strumming, with clean guitars in the background, which really give the song some density. Once the vocals kick in, the electric guitar becomes more prominent, until the full riffing begins. The drums are actually very impressive during the riffing moment, repeating cymbal crash after cymbal crash. The song slows down and picks up again a couple times, and the guitar in each section never ceases to amaze me. The next song, Not Unlike the Waves opens with some heavy riffing but then a soft acoustic passage appears again. Once the passage ends, the song just gets heavier and heavier. Now, a three part suite begins. The first instrumental section (Our Fortress is Burning) begins with piano and acoustic guitar, but slowly builds up and moves to the second part. This song is not very metal and has a kind of ambient feel to it. The second part of the suite, Bloodbirds, is pretty much the climax of the entire album, and seems to be a more traditional Agalloch song, with more riffs and vocals. The part of the suite (The Grain) is a seven minute noise track. This is my least favorite on the album because there is really nothing to say about it. There is no point that it is trying to get across. Overall, I think that this album is an essential if you are a fan of Post Metal. Otherwise, I would suggest to dip your feet in slowly, maybe just the first two songs, if you are not familiar with much Post Metal.

• Primeval Scum