EARTH — The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull (review)

EARTH — The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull album cover Album · 2008 · Non-Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Pelata
Beginning life in 1991 as an ultra-heavy, distorted, Drone Doom band, Earth created some of the most mind-numbingly massive instrumental music on the planet. As the years went on Earth found itself developing a few more textures & different tones, yet the band has lost none of the atmosphere it has always been known for. Virtuosity be damned, Earth is all about minimalistic mood creation.

2008′s The Bees Make Honey In The Lion’s Skull is another glowing example of the band doing what it does best…creating moods. The music made by Earth, then and now, is much more about perception and influence surrounding the listener with a vibe than anything else. This is music that can transport you…that can move you…than can calm you…that can energize you. It can make you close your eyes or clench your teeth. It can soothe you and it can frighten you. Words like “atmospheric” and “ambient” get tossed around so much they almost become meaningless, but they’ve never carried more meaning than when describing Earth.

There are many, many bands creating music in this genre. But there are few who do it with the conviction Earth displays. 7 tracks, 54 minutes, of droning, melodic excellence. Ignore this, and you’re ignoring art.

The Leaders Are Swine Deathcore