SUICIDE SILENCE Suicide Silence

Album · 2017 · Deathcore
2.5/5 ·
Kev Rowland
Suicide Silence are one of those bands who have emotionally been through a great deal, as after three albums their singer Mitch Lucker was killed in a motorbike accident. The band decided to keep going, and eventually found a replacement in Eddie Hermida and released ‘You Can’t Stop me’ in 2014. After the trauma, this is the re-set, and they have brought in famed producer Ross Robinson to help them do just that. Now, I saw the original band at a Megadeth-headlined festival in Auckland back in 2010, and cam remember going for a beer as that was more interesting than watching the band. Now, I like deathcore as much as the next person, and I know these guys have recently been touring with Whitechapel who I admire a great deal (saw them support Trivium and it was awesome), but there is something about these guys that I just can’t get past.

I don’t know exactly what it is, but their mix of different styles always makes me think that they’re trying way too hard. They have songs, or at least bits of songs, that just blow my mind, but there are also way too many others where I just don’t see the point. Ross has done a superb job, as always, and I must confess that the more I have listened to this the more I have liked it, but it just isn’t for me. It isn’t for me, and I am sure that there plenty that are going to rave over it, but there is far more music out there that I would rather listen to.

4 Way Split Grindcore