MEGADETH Rust in Peace

Album · 1990 · Thrash Metal
Stooge
September 1990. The decade was only nine months old, but Megadeth had already produced one of the greatest metal albums of the 90s.

There is a definite punk rock vibe scattered through the tracks of Rust In Peace. The verse of the catchy “Tornado of Souls”, and the up-tempo track “Poison Was The Cure” are but a few examples. Mustaine’s vocals are delivered with the attitude and tone of an angered, spiky-haired teenager as opposed to a grown man with hair past his shoulders. Don’t worry, I mean that in a good way!

More evident to the listener should be that this album showcases a metal band that has their chops down. It took Megadeth years before they attempted to play “Five Magics” live because Mustaine wasn’t sure they could even pull it off! “Lucretia” and “Take No Prisoners” should also impress those into albums seemingly made by musicians for musicians. “Holy Wars…. The Punishment Due” is legendary for it’s riffing. It’s truly a great way for Megadeth to introduce the fans to their newest incarnation. As technical and jagged as the song is, it was actually released as a single and is fairly catchy.

However, there is no doubt that “Hangar 18” is the catchier of the album’s singles. It’s extremely melodic from beginning to end, and filled with top-notch soloing by both Mustaine and Marty Friedman.

I can’t forget to mention “Dawn Patrol”. This is most certainly the track that will impress the least amount of people, but it’s built around a rather nice David Ellefson bassline, is rather brief, and I think it fits in well within the album’s structure.

“Rust In Peace …. Polaris” is actually one of the earliest Megadeth compositions, with parts of the song pre-dating the band. It’s kind of obvious from the old school sounding drum intro, but the song surprisingly holds up well. It was most certainly tailored to fit in with the current Megadeth sound, and works well as an album closer.

Rust In Peace is a career-defining album from a band at the top of their game, and comes highly recommended.