MAUDLIN OF THE WELL — Leaving Your Body Map (review)

MAUDLIN OF THE WELL — Leaving Your Body Map album cover Album · 2001 · Avant-garde Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Sleepwalker
Maudlin Of The Well must be one of the most unique and memorable bands from this decade. Blending elements of several very different styles of music into one mold would shape two unique and astounding albums: Bath and Leaving Your Body Map. Two companion albums of which Leaving Your Body Map is the heavy counterpart of the more delicate Bath, though both share the same level of innovativity and distinctiveness.

Leaving Your Body Map shows a lot of metal with death growls, heavy guitars and some very aggresive moments. Metal is only one of the many musical styles blended in the sound of this album though. Others are jazz, classical, psychedelica and countless others. This is probably what makes Maudlin Of The Well such an unique band, they manage to blend so many musical styles into the 61 minutes of music that Leaving Your Body Map is and don’t make it sound unnatural or forced at all. I think It’s pretty much impossible to fully describe the sound that Maudlin Of The Well creates with words and the music really has to be heard to believed, which I think is a very good thing.

Leaving Your Body Map is not an album full of innovative heaviness though. There are plenty of more delicate parts like the majority of the music on Bath that give the album a very diverse sound and make it a great experience from the beginning to the end. I must say that I prefer Bath to this album, though it is essential to hear both albums which makes their distinctiveness and strengths more clear. I give Leaving Your Body Map a four and a half star rating.

Thousand Griefs Sludge Metal