MOTÖRHEAD — Iron Fist (review)

MOTÖRHEAD — Iron Fist album cover Album · 1982 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Iron Fist is the 6th full-length studio album by Uk hard rock/ metal act Motörhead. The album was released in April 1982 by Bronze. The trio lineup that recorded the commercially very succesful Ace of Spades (1980) is still intact. This would be guitarist Eddie Clarke´s last studio album appearance though and the end of an era for Motörhead. The original vinyl version of the album contains 12 tracks and a 35:39 minute long playing time.

The music on the album is filthy and raw hard rock/ metal with the unmistakable rusty vocals by Lemmy Kilmister in front. This is basically the blues played with more badass attitude than most can muster. While there are several enjoyable tracks on the album ( most notably the opening title track), it´s hard not to notice that the general quality of the tracks isn´t as high as it was on Ace of Spades. I don´t want to sound too disrespectful here but I would describe Iron Fist as the pale little sister to Ace of Spades. The best tracks are arguably excellent material and a few can even be called Motörhead "classics" ( again the title track is the one that instantly springs to mind), but most of the songs on the album are more or less run of the mill Motörhead tracks. Of course that means that they are still great above average tracks but had there been more tracks in the high quality of the title track I´m sure Iron Fist would have been a better album. Iron Fist wasn´t exactly received with praise from the press either back when it was released ( not that it´s always the best indication of artistic success), but with all the negatives aside I still find Iron Fist quite enjoyable and a 3.5 star rating is deserved.

Legione Occulta / Ministerium Diaboli Doom Metal