D.A.M. — Inside Out (review)

D.A.M. — Inside Out album cover Album · 1991 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Inside Out" is the 2nd full-length studio album by UK thrash metal act D.A.M.. The album was released through Noise Records in 1991. D.A.M. were formed in 1986 and were initially active until 1992 when they disbanded. In addition to "Inside Out", they also released "Human Wreckage (1990)". There´s been one lineup change since the debut album as guitarist Elly has been replaced by Dave Pugh (later of Skyclad fame).

Stylistically the music on "Inside Out" pretty much continues down the same US thrash metal influenced path as the music on "Human Wreckage (1990)" did. Lead vocalist Jason McLoughlin has a rather distinct sounding voice and delivery which is pretty surely an aquired taste, while the rest of the band deliver their parts with conviction and good technical skill. While most tracks are pretty energetic and mid- to fast paced thrashers, the band do take the pace down sometimes. The best example is probably "Winter's Tear", which is a power ballad type track, or at least a track with acoustic parts and singing type vocals.

The material on the 9 track, 44:12 minutes long album is generally of a decent quality, but there are few standout moments that you´ll remember after it´s done playing, and a track like "Winter's Tear", which does stand out, doesn´t exactly stand out in a positive way. The material is overall very standard for the genre, and while it´s not bad quality thrash metal it´s just pretty unremarkable.

The sound production has been improved upon since the debut album and "Inside Out" is overall a very well produced album. So upon conclusion it´s an album that´s a bit up and down (I have to mention the many well played guitar solos as one of the positive things about the album), so a 3 star (60%) rating isn´t all wrong.

Cheap Thriller Stoner Metal