BLACK HAVEN — Harmbringer (review)

BLACK HAVEN — Harmbringer album cover Album · 2011 · Hardcore Punk Buy this album from MMA partners
"Harmbringer" is the debut full-length studio album by Belgian hardcore act Black Haven. The album was released by Hypertension Records/Hammerheart Records in March 2011.

The music on "Harmbringer" is metallic hardcore. Lots of energy and power, but also more melodic elements occur in the music. The vocals vary between raw and aggressive hardcore type vocals, slightly melodic raw singing, and clean singing. The way the music shifts between raw and aggressive punked hardcore sections and more atmospheric melodic parts work well for the band. The varied vocals are a great asset too. Except for the most raw singing the vocals remind me a lot of Jaz Coleman´s (Killing Joke) singing style. The music also remind me quite a lot of the most raw Killing Joke releases albeit with an added aggressive hardcore edge.

The musicianship are strong and the sound production powerful and suiting for the music style. "Harmbringer" is all in all quite the entertaining and also memorable and varied release and fans of metallic hardcore with a melodic atmospheric sensibility should find a lot to like here. I´d say a 3.5 star (70%) rating is fully deserved.

Paradigmatic Metalcore