XENTRIX — For Whose Advantage? (review)

XENTRIX — For Whose Advantage? album cover Album · 1990 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"For Whose Advantage?" is the 2nd full-length studio album by UK, Preston based thrash metal act Xentrix. The album was released through Roadracer Records in August 1990. Xentrix were formed under the Sweet Vengeance monicker in 1985, but changed their name to Xentrix in 1988. They recorded four albums before disbanding in 1997. There have been no changes to the lineup since "Shattered Existence (1989)". Xentrix filmed a promotional video for the title track.

Stylistically the music on "For Whose Advantage?" is pretty much a natural continuation of the the music featured on "Shattered Existence (1989)". It´s technically well played thrash metal with more than one nod towards late 80s Metallica. The high level musical performances are definitely one of Xentrix greatest assets although lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist Chris Astley doesn´t have the most interesting voice. It does make the vocal part of the music slightly one-dimensional and flat sounding, but it´s not a major issue. Just a part of the music, which could have been better. However it´s interesting to note that Astley´s more hard rock oriented vocal performance on the cover of "Running, White Faced, City Boy" by Gillan is quite convincing. The instrumental performances are generally of a high quality. The rhythm section is rock solid and rhythmically relatively varied, and the guitar riffs, harmonies, and solos are precise, powerful, and catchy.

The sound production is powerful, clear, and detailed, and suits the music perfectly. So in many ways "For Whose Advantage?" is a high quality thrash metal release. Xentrix doesn´t have a very original sounding style though and paired with the rather dull vocals, it´s a minus in my book. So I´d say it speaks volumes of the quality of the rest of the features of the album when a 3.5 - 4 star (75%) rating is still deserved.

3 months ago
Not really my thing, but definitely a quality thrash metal release.
3 months ago
Prefer the debut, but this is solid.
3 months ago
Great album. Love the artwork!

Vol. 1 Sludge Metal