SUFFOCATION Effigy of the Forgotten

Album · 1991 · Death Metal
Habitual infamy...

Genre: brutal death metal

This is perhaps one of the strongest debut releases in the history of death metal and certainly not just an influential, but also a seminal release in the subgenre of brutal death metal.

The epitome of brutal death metal, "Effigy of the Forgotten" contains nothing but 'evil' killer tracks which are actually very dynamically structured, and very demanding to play, as the level of technicality requires a very high level of musicianship. This is one of those releases that were referred to back in the day by metalheads who were trying to defend their beloved death metal music was criticized by ignorant mainstream dumbasses, who claimed that it wasn't music and that anyone could create such pointless nose. If anything, this album certainly shows that death metal can require a very high level of musicianship to pull off (but, unfortunately, very few of the mainstream dumbasses bought the argument, because they were totally ignorant about music anyway). All tracks contain numerous riffs and are complex in structure, and this album contains many of my favorite Suffocation tracks, including "Infecting the Crypts" and "Mass Obliteration".

My only problem is the monotonous growling vocals which detracts from the otherwise very positive experience of listening to the album a bit.

This is an absolute must have if you are a fan of death metal.

Altar of Disembowelment Death Metal