KING CRIMSON — Discipline (review)

KING CRIMSON — Discipline album cover Album · 1981 · Non-Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
My introduction to King Crimson came through hearing the song β€˜Red’ which I found incredibly boring and repetitive. Such a shame, that King Crimson, one of the most famous progressive rock bands of all time, would turn out to be such a letdown. Fast forward a few years and I'm at my local, trusty car-boot sale. We all love a bargain, and when I saw someone selling this CD for 50p, I knew it was time to jump in and give the band a proper chance.

Well, they won me over, because 'Discipline' turned out to be a pretty good record.

Consisting of musically intelligent and creative individuals, these guys know how to write some totally different and unique songs. My personal faves, 'Elephant Talk' and 'Thela Hun Ginjeet', both have lyrical themes that are certainly unlike any others I've heard before. Both interestingly show how musical inspiration can come from anywhere.

Despite these two highlights though, at times it feels like the rest of 'Discipline' just kind of plods along. The songs aren't terrible, in fact, each song by itself is good and very easy to listen to, but I find myself getting bored trying to listen to the whole album in one sitting. In that regard, whilst this release may have converted me into a fan, it's still not something I'm likely to rant and rave about any time soon.

I guess I'm all talk.