PESTILENCE — Consuming Impulse (review)

PESTILENCE — Consuming Impulse album cover Album · 1989 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Unitron
Anxious, disturbing, manic.

Never has any album invoked real horror and anxiety more than Pestilence's Consuming Impulse. Instrumentally, it's an incredible album with fantastic hooks, thrashing rage, screaming solos, and all that is essential to death metal. Out of the Body and Reduced to Ashes especially have absolutely crushing grooves. However, the vocals are what takes it to a whole new level of what death metal can be.

On every song, every vocal, Martin van Drunen sounds like he's screaming for his life and there's nobody there to save him from all the torment. Dehydrated is about dying in a barren desert, The Trauma is self-explanatory, Out of the Body seems to be about having your body infested with parasites, Chronic Infection about having an incurable disease, and Echoes of Death is probably the most emotionally powerful song about death I've ever heard.

This is truly a one-of-a-kind album, and is one of the most passionate performances I've ever heard. It's a shame Pestilence were never able to make anything like it again, but they really couldn't do it without Drunen.

Perfect intro. If we could do three word reviews then that would sum it up! Good to see you again too.
siLLy puPPy wrote:
Hey, Unitron! Great to see you back. I went on a Pestilence marathon not too long ago. I didn't like this one at first but it quicky grew on me. Now i love it :)

Leave The Soul For Now Atmospheric Sludge Metal
CYLUS

Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 2 days ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS