PAGAN'S MIND — Celestial Entrance (review)

PAGAN'S MIND — Celestial Entrance album cover Album · 2002 · Progressive Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Primeval Scum
I had been hearing the name Pagan's Mind thrown around a lot recently, with comparisons to Dream Theater. Despite my dislike for Dream Theater, I finally decided to check out Pagan's Mind's highest rated album on RYM, "Celestial Entrance".

My expectations weren't particularly high, but I was immediately drawn into the album by "Through Osiris' Eyes". The song is now one of my favorite power metal songs of all time, featuring a chorus that is simply beautiful, epic and melodic. Though the rest of the album never quite reaches the level of eargasm I experienced on the second track, there is no shortage of great songs.

There is a nice variety here. There are the slower, more melodic songs like "Through Osiris' Eyes" and blazing-fast heavier songs like "The Seven Sacred Promises". Perhaps the most technically impressive sequence in Pagan's Mind's entire career is the two-part Back To The Magic of Childhood instrumental. "Part 2: Exploring Life" in particular is stuffed full of sheer awesomeness and great riffs. It was nice to heard this band just do its thing and shred and make wonderful music without relying on Nils K Rue.

The overall sound Pagan's Mind goes for is sort of a blend of power metal and progressive metal. The songs are quite long with a lot of progressive elements, keyboards and complex riffing, but the vocals are the sort more often heard in power metal (high, operatic choruses...etc).

Not including the intro, here are my ratings for each song: 2. Through Osiris' Eyes - 5/5 3. Entrance: Stargate - 3/5 4. ...Of Epic Questions - 4.5/5 5. Dimensions of Fire - 3/5 6. Dreamscape Lucidity - 4/5 7. The Seven Sacred Promises - 4/5 8. Back to the Magic of Childhood, Part 1: Conception - 3.5/5 9. Back to the Magic of Childhood, Part 2: Exploring Life - 4.5/5 10. In Brilliant White Light - 2.5/5 11. Aegean Shores - 4/5 12. The Prophecy of Pleiades - 3/5

Overall : 3.73/5

Viperous Death Metal
Grim Riffer Stoner Metal
HÅNDGEMENG
Degen van licht Atmospheric Black Metal
TURIA

Saving Vice - The Ritual.
SAVING VICE