BLACK SABBATH — Black Sabbath (review)

BLACK SABBATH — Black Sabbath album cover Album · 1970 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
SouthSideoftheSky
The first Heavy Metal album of all time

This self-titled debut album by Black Sabbath is a truly groundbreaking and absolutely essential album not just for Metal fans but for any fan of Rock music. Mixing electric Blues, Jazz and Rock, creating a totally unique sound. In addition, the lyrical themes are also quite groundbreaking with references to Satan, wizards, evil women and black sabbath's. This is possibly the heaviest and scariest album ever created, at least from the perspective of its time. Even the cover art is groundbreaking and full of dark mystique. There is a perfect fit between the music and the picture.

The title track and N.I.B have become two of the most well known songs by the band and especially the first must be heard by anyone interested in the history of Rock music. Another track that deserves special mention is Sleeping Village which starts with a short acoustic part featuring a traditional Scandinavian instrument that I don't know the name of in English. Ozzy's vocal performance is surprisingly impressive. His voice perfectly fits the music.

This album was the start of an amazing career by an amazing band and is one of the most impressive debut albums I have ever heard! Black Sabbath is an absolutely essential album, but it is not quite a masterpiece like some later Black Sabbath albums. Some parts have a slight improvisational character fitting better in a live setting than on a studio album.

Despite its minor flaws, this is an extremely important record!

Empire Of The Blind Thrash Metal