JUDAS PRIEST — Angel Of Retribution (review)

JUDAS PRIEST — Angel Of Retribution album cover Album · 2005 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Judas Priest rising...

Genre: heavy metal

"Angel of Retribution" marks the return of the once exiled god to the upper echelon of metal deities and it is a very varied quality album.

The first track "Judas Rising", I think, carries on the style from the Ripper Owens fronted albums, but, of course, Halford's voice adds a certain uniqueness to the track, which is already excellent. "Deal with a Devil" is a solid heavy metal track with some nice guitar licks and a great chorus and equally great pre-chorus. "Revolution" is groovier track which kind of hearkens back to the days when Priest were very inspired by Led Zep. "Worth Fighting For" is more of an alternative (hard) rock melodic track, but I quite like it for sounding different and having a more twangy sound. "Demonizer" is a dark and semi-thrashy track (a bit like "Judas Rising" track that sounds a bit like the material from "Jugulator". "Wheels of Fire" is a nice heavy metal track, but one of the weaker moments of the album, as is "Angel" which one of Priest's less powerful ballads. "Hellrider" reminds me a bit of the material from "Painkiller" and therefore I, logically, like it. "Eulogy" is an epic ballad which hearkens back to "Epitaph" from "Sad Wings of Destiny", but without the Queen influence. And "Loch Ness" is essentially a dark and evil doom metal song and the best track on the album.

Recommended to fans of traditional heavy metal, but speed, power and thrash metal fans might also like it.

Hold Back the Dawn Death Metal
GRAVEYARD
Rhetoric Of The Image Sludge Metal
TORPOR
The Day I Became Us Deathcore
PRINCIPLES OF MERGER
The Apophis Solution Deathcore
BECOMING AKH

Between Two Oceans - Nightmare (Studio Live)
BETWEEN TWO OCEANS