SEIGMEN — Ameneon (review)

SEIGMEN — Ameneon album cover Album · 1993 · Alternative Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Ameneon" is the debut full-length studio album by Norwegian rock/metal act Seigmen. The album was released in two editions in April 1993. One through the 1:70 label and one through the Voices of Wonder label.

The music on the album continues the dark and bleak rock/metal style that was initiated on the "Pluto (1992)" EP. There´s an atmosphere of deep depression and despair about the music, which runs through every fiber of the album. The tracks are heavy and atmospheric but occasionally also a bit more aggressive and energetic. The drumming is especially busy throughout the album. The musicianship is strong although lead vocalist Alex Møklebust are more distinct sounding and passionate than technically skilled. His gloomy (and occasionally aggressive) vocal style suits the music very well though (the lyrics are in the Norwegian language). The two guitarists play a central role in the music complimenting each other well with heavy riffs and atmospheric leads and motifs.

The quality of the material is generally high, but I have to mention the fantastic 9:01 minutes long "Mesusah" as the major highlight of the album. The Cure inspired opening to that track is brilliant and the chanting monotone vocals really add to the gloomy mood of the song. The bleak nature of the material might lead to the deception that the music isn´t catchy and memorable, but after a few spins, that proves to be a wrong perception of tracks that are both varied and intriguingly structured. One of the great assets of "Ameneon" is, that while there are recurring themes and what can be perceived as vers/chorus structures, Seigmen make an effort to challenge those conventional structures, which ultimately results in "Ameneon" being an album that´s worth listening to again and again. Stylistically the music on "Ameneon" is hard to nail, but references to acts like Joy Division, Bauhaus, Katatonia and a slight nod towards Tool, aren´t completely wrong. Dark and depressive rock with an occassional metal edge.

Generally I´d say the songwriting is more mature than the case was on "Pluto (1992)" and the sound production is also much stronger than the case was on the EP, so all in all "Ameneon" is a natural and positive step up for Seigmen and a 4 star (80%) rating is fully deserved.

Little By Little Hardcore Punk
Sabbath Stoner Metal
MELVINS
Medicine Noose / Spewn Sludge Metal
SPEWN

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL