PAIN OF SALVATION — 12:5 (review)

PAIN OF SALVATION — 12:5 album cover Live album · 2004 · Non-Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Conor Fynes
'12:5' - Pain Of Salvation (9/10)

When I was first introduced to Pain of Salvation's first live album, I wasn't sure what to think. This was definately not your average progressive metal live performance. There was something wholly different about the sound, and the delivery. Regardless, I liked what I heard, and continued to listen.

Realizing that this focus on acoustic instruments wasn't just a fluke, but an intended theme for the live album, I was impressed. Even in such a stripped down atmosphere, the band managed to maintain power and energy with their songs. The songs are performed in front of a small crowd, so there's a real sense of warmth and intimacy with the music.

Daniel Gildenlow stated that he didn't want to simply do a 'live album,' he wanted to create something that offered something new to fans instead of a live rehash of studio material. Gildenlow certainly lived up to his promise. There are guitar textures here that were never before seen in studio, and probably would never have worked had they remained electric and heavy.

This is a very irregular live album, it offers something new to the point that it can be considered a true Pain of Salvation album as much as any of the actual studio releases deserve to be. A very rewarding piece of music.

The Gold & Silver Sessions Heavy Psych