Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror

8. Eye of the Enemy
9. Twelfth Talisman
10. Reign Down
11. Winter's Call

Released May 22, 2012, on Nightmare Records.

Thanks to Time Signature for the addition

ORDER OF NINE MP3, Free Download/Stream

No ORDER OF NINE MP3s available for streaming.

Buy ORDER OF NINE - SEVENTH YEAR OF THE BROKEN MIRROR music

Showing all 6 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
Seventh Year Of The Broken MirrorSeventh Year Of The Broken Mirror
Nightmare Records 2012

More places to buy metal & ORDER OF NINE music

ORDER OF NINE SEVENTH YEAR OF THE BROKEN MIRROR reviews

Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror is the fourth studio album by US Power Metal act Order of Nine. The album was released in 2012. Order of Nine plays a mostly guitar driven brand of power metal that doesn’t shy away from the use of keyboards but they use them in a way that sets their sound outside what one would expect from so called European/melodic power metal. At the same time I wouldn’t put it in quite typical USPM territory either, more like somewhere in the middle. The cover art to my eyes actually suggests gothic metal, but that would be a major misassumption.

An important thing to remember when coming to Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror is that it’s highly unlikely going to be a love at first listen album. That’s because in Michael Degrena Order of Nine has a vocalist that doesn’t sound like he belongs in a power metal band. That’s something that is glaringly obvious as soon as he starts singing in the opening title track. He has a deep baritone voice. Time must be given to get used to his tone before the record is really able to open up and allow the songs here to be appreciated. When that happens his vocals manage to work within the power metal context, but I think power metal fans liking him is going to be a very much hit and miss thing. Ultimately I personally found that I quite like him. He makes the album sound a little different to the masses, which is always a good thing in my book. In some ways he reminds me of former Iced Earth/Pyramaze frontman Matt Barlow, not so much in tone as the vocals here have a much more pure sound compared to Barlow’s aggressive approach, but in the way the vocals are delivered over the backdrop of power metal riffage.

Order of Nine’s sound also includes influences from progressive metal and symphonic metal, with parts from each style being used for flavour within the power metal context. The keyboards in the sound are not only used in a symphonic manner, which I find greatly refreshing. The use of piano in some areas works particularly well, while progressive influences allow the album to throw a few curveballs without Order of Nine losing the ability to put out a rocking track, and they do put out quite of few of those during the course of this album, but special mention to Dreamspeak and Changing of the Guard, the latter of which features some of the album’s best instrumental work. Eye of the Enemy also features some great use of keyboards giving off quite the classical sounding approach that works really well for Order of Nine.

At the end of the day this is going to be a love or hate album in my opinion but that’s all down to those vocals, the rest of the band’s musical elements should have wide appeal among metalheads. That makes it somewhat difficult to score but I think no less than a great album rating is warranted for Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror. Try it out, you may just be surprised.

8.2/10

(Originally written for Heavy Metal Haven (http://metaltube.freeforums.org))
Third wish...

Genre: US power metal

I know, I often gripe about the power metal genre and its tendency to be cheesy and kitschy. This does not mean that I dislike power metal as such, and whenever a really cool and interesting power metal band comes along (and, there ARE many of those), my day is pretty much saved.

So, thanks to Order of Nine for saving my day with their latest release "Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror".

Drawing on the more hard-edged aesthetics of US power metal, the tunes on this album are dark and heavy, often entering into power-thrash territory with its aggressive riffage and chucking guitars. There are both epic and melodic elements pulling the music in the other direction (and some of the tracks feature keyboards and other melodic element). The result is a stylistically broad type of power metal that captures the best of both power-thrash and epic power metal. On top of this, Order of Nine have sprinkled a couple of progressive elements. The brilliant "Changing of the Guard" pretty much captures everything that makes this album as interesting as it is.

In a power metal context, perhaps the most unique feature of "Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror" is Michael Degrena's baritone vocals which may take some time getting used to simply because this type of singing is unusual in power metal. But, once his voice clicks with you, hopefully, you should be able to appreciate the important contribution Degrena makes to the unique sound on this album. The musicianship is top notch across the board, and fans of blazing guitar solos especially have something to look forward to.

If you like dark power metal with and unusual vocals, then "Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror" is an album that you simply must not miss out on.

No ORDER OF NINE SEVENTH YEAR OF THE BROKEN MIRROR reviews posted by members yet.

No ORDER OF NINE ratings only posted yet.

Seventh Year of the Broken Mirror Contents