NAZARETH — Hair Of The Dog

NAZARETH - Hair Of The Dog cover

Album · 1975

Filed under Hard Rock
By NAZARETH

1. Hair Of The Dog (4:09)
2. Miss Misery (4:40)
3. Guilty (3:53)
4. Changin' Times (6:03)
5. Beggar's Day / Rose In The Heather (6:31)
6. Whiskey Drinkin' Woman (5:29)
7. Please Don't Judas Me (9:47)
8. Love Hurts (3:53)

- Dan McCafferty / vocals
- Manny Charlton / guitars, synthesizer
- Pete Agnew / bass, backing vocals
- Darrell Sweet / drums, percussion, backing vocals

- Max Middleton / piano (track 3)
- Vicki Brown / backing vocals (track 3)
- Lisa Strike / backing vocals (track 3)
- Barry St. John / backing vocals (track 3)
- Simon Philips / table (track 7)
- Vicki Silva / backing vocals (track 3)

April 1975
Mooncrest

Reissued with the following bonus tracks:

9. Down (3:55)
10. Railroad Boy (4:07)
11. Go Down Fighting (US version) (3:05)
12. Hair Of The Dog (single edit) (3:21)
13. Holy Roller (extended alternate mix) (4:16)

Reissued with the following bonus tracks:

8. Love Hurts (single)
9. My White Bicycle
10. Holy Roller (single)
11. Railroad Boy (b-side of Holy Roller)
12. Hair Of The Dog (BBC live recording)
13. Holy Roller (BBC live recording)
14. Teenage Nervous Breakdown (BBC live recording)
15. This Flight Tonight (BBC live recording)
16. Road Ladies (BBC live recording)

Thanks to Time Signature, Lynx33 for the updates

Buy NAZARETH - HAIR OF THE DOG music

Hair of the DogHair of the Dog
A&M 1984
Hair Of The Dog (Live)Hair Of The Dog (Live)
Deadline 2012
NAZARETH 45 RPM Love Hurts / Hair Of the DogNAZARETH 45 RPM Love Hurts / Hair Of the Dog
A&M
Live - Hair Of The Dog by NazarethLive - Hair Of The Dog by Nazareth
Pegasus Entertainment
Showing 4 items | Cache expiring in 58h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & NAZARETH music

NAZARETH HAIR OF THE DOG reviews

J-Man
Nazareth had experienced some commercial success prior to 1975's Hair of the Dog, but this album marks the band's true breakthrough into the mainstream. With its infectiously groovy title track and well-known (and surprisingly enjoyable) ballad “Love Hurts”, their sixth observation received quite a bit of attention upon its release, and is retrospectively regarded as the Scottish hard rock band's quintessential album. Hair of the Dog is a 'classic' heavy rock release that clearly takes some cues from the likes of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin, and although it doesn't strike me as a wholly original album, there are plenty of great blues-based riffs to be found throughout this record. For my money, Nazareth is not among the 'elite' seventies' hard rock acts, but Hair of the Dog proves that they are nothing to scoff at! This one is easily recommend to fans of heavy-edged blues rock and proto-metal.
voila_la_scorie
My grade ten year was the year I was totally hooked on Nazareth. I used to write their band logo on the classroom chalkboards. It was also the year that the TV movie "Jesus of Nazareth" was aired, so some students thought I was into that movie.

I acquired all sixteen Nazareth albums on cassette (from the debut in '72 to the latest release at the time, "Cinema") and they were stacked by my bed, next to my stereo cassette player. There was something to love on every album, but honestly it was the heavy Nazareth I liked best. And for me, this album has always been the heaviest. Never mind the well-known title track, "Hair of the Dog", "Miss Misery" is one of the band's heaviest, if not the heaviest, song they've ever recorded. It's a monster in the Nazareth catalogue. And how about Dan McCafferty's vocals? He was always a rough-voiced singer like Brian Johnson of AC/DC but on this album he sounds like he's ready to rip meat off a wolf kill.

My cassette did not include the original track, "Guilty" but instead had the classic cover of "Love Hurts" with that simple yet beautiful solo (did Manny Charlton only pick the string once?) done by bending the string. But the next song, "Changin' Times" is for me the highlight of the album. A song in two parts, it's an absolute killer heavy rock number with such a heavy chorus. The band seem to be pushing heaviness here and with success. The second part of the song is a ride down a highway in a convertible with a jaunty rock rhythm and a guitar solo to make you soar. The two parts contrast beautifully and each on its own is fantastically executed. My all-time favourite Nazareth song!

Side 2 keeps the heavy guitar but "Beggar's Day" is too repetitious. It is released into "Rose in the Heather" which is a very pretty instrumental with a pleasantly buzzing distortion on the lead guitar. I believe there is some synthesizer here as well to add to the atmosphere. A short but lovely piece of music.

"Whiskey Drinkin' Woman" is more in the flavour of their previous album, "Rampant": very blues-based but still leaning to the heavy side at times.

The closing track keeps Nazareth's tradition over the last three albums of having a lengthy song running over 8 minutes. "Please Don't Judas Me" might be a bit long and drawn out for some but I always loved the slow build to the song and the powerful melancholic melody with the serious snare drum and moody guitar solo carrying the song to its conclusion. There's a very sombre and heavy atmosphere here.

I was very glad to get the reissue with the bonus tracks, particularly "My White Bicycle" because I always liked that song from the "Greatest Hits" album but I never bought the album because I had almost all of the songs on the albums.

My Nazareth CD collection is not nearly so full as my cassette collection was. I have a triple CD compilation and a three or four albums on CD. "Hair of the Dog" is by far, for me, the essential Nazareth album to get. It is heavy, it rocks, and the band would never do another album quite like it, though "No Mean City" was at least in the same ballpark. If you are into heavy 70's rock then this is an album not to be missed. Definitely worth looking into. That coming from me, anyway.

No NAZARETH HAIR OF THE DOG reviews posted by members yet.

• Daniel Wallace