DESULTORY — Counting Our Scars

- Håkan Morberg / Guitar
- Johan Bohlin / Bass
- Thomas Johnson / Drums, Vocals

Full-length, Pulverised Records, November 2010

Produced, recorded, mixed, and mastered by Tore Stjerna at Necromorbus Studio, Stockholm, Sweden.

Deluxe vinyl version made by Temple of Darkness Records limited to only 500 copies.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition and TheHeavyMetalCat for the updates

Buy DESULTORY - COUNTING OUR SCARS music

Counting Our ScarsCounting Our Scars
Sound Pollution 2014

More places to buy metal & DESULTORY music

DESULTORY COUNTING OUR SCARS reviews

Ready to rock...

Genre: death metal

You know, Sweden are known as the country of melodic death metal, but prior to that, Sweden harbored a very different, much less polished type of death metal. Desultory play old school Swedish death metal, and, being the first album by the band in five years, counting our scars is a comeback of sorts - and a good comeback, too.

The productions is more crisp than with the original Swedish death metal acts, and Desultory also appeal more to melody... without it being melodeath, but add the melodic dimension through melodic lead guitars primarily.

True to tradition, there are plenty of thrash elements, and perhaps Desultory is best described as a death-thrash act, although the do make use of blastbeats and typical death metal riffage as well.

I think this is a very good album, and it is reassuring to know that the Swedes are still able to make old school Swedish death metal.
Counting Our Scars is the 4th full-length studio album by melodic Swedish death metal act Desultory. The album was released in November 2010 by Pulverised Records. Counting Our Scars is a comeback album for the band who released their last album Swallow the Snake in 1996. Desultory were pretty active in the early and mid-nineties releasing three studio albums in the years between 1993 and 1996, but like many of their contemporaries disappeared at the end of the decade.

Desultory used to play a melodic form of old school Swedish death metal with lead guitar themes in spades and a generally melancholic atmosphere. The band pretty much continue down that road on Counting Our Scars but incorporate the occassional thrash metal part too, which gives the music a more modern touch. The songs are all well written, well performed and well produced, so it´s no surprise that the final outcome sounds very professional. Like on earlier releases the band never really reach excellence though and my attention has a nasty tendency to wander after a couple of tracks. It´s a bit of a shame though because a song like the opening track In a Cage is really strong and promises a lot. Unfortunately when I´m done listening to the album I seem to have a hard time remembering individual tracks and that´s somewhat a problem.

So overall Counting Our Scars is a good consistent melodic death metal album with an old school edge deserving a 3 - 3.5 star rating.

No DESULTORY COUNTING OUR SCARS reviews posted by members yet.

Counting Our Scars Contents

Delusion Of Negation Sludge Metal
ZOLFO
Watch The Collapse Metalcore
WEIGHT BEARER

HEAVEN SHALL BURN - Combat (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
HEAVEN SHALL BURN
HEAVEN SHALL BURN - Endzeit (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
HEAVEN SHALL BURN