IRON MAIDEN — The Number Of The Beast (review)

IRON MAIDEN — The Number Of The Beast album cover Album · 1982 · NWoBHM Buy this album from MMA partners
Sinkadotentree
The music itself is more melodic and streamlined than their first two records but having the operatic vocals of Bruce Dickinson certainly is the biggest change from their earlier sound. I saw this band in Toronto on their "Piece Of Mind" tour and i was blown away by all the people that came who were clearly into Punk. Back then i hadn't heard the first two albums so i had no idea that this band did appeal to the Punk rockers still in existence in 1983. I do feel that this is an upgrade over their first two albums but not by much. The first song to impress me is "Children Of The Damned" where they slow it down after the uptempo "Invaders". They slow it down sure but this is powerful at the same time. Burr is fantastic on the drum kit. "The Prisoner" is a heavy but straightforward track. "22 Acacia Avenue" is one of my favourites. Love the riffing ! The title track opens with spoken words that quote a section of Revelation chapter 13. Then the riffage and vocals kick in and build. How good is this after 1 1/2 minutes ! "666 the number of the beast...". Absolutley killing it ! Amazing tune ! "Run To The Hills" like the title track helped put this band on the world map. Love when it kicks in and they start to gallop and Bruce cries "Run to the hills, run for your lives !". "Gangland" like the opener is an uptempo barn burner. "Total Eclipse" has a good low end sound to it. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" takes a minute to get going but then lookout ! Great sound here as they start to gallop. So an upgrade over the first two but it would be "Piece Of Mind" the next one that would turn me into a life long fan.

Mir Zur Feier Melodic Death Metal