IRON MAIDEN — Somewhere In Time (review)

IRON MAIDEN — Somewhere In Time album cover Album · 1986 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Stephen
It's 1986 and Iron Maiden can't deny the fact that the world is consuming a more pop-oriented heavy metal. Without stripping down the core, this is the first time they tried to adapt to the change by introducing the usage of synthesizer. Although ironically Dickinson rejected that idea, I think Maiden successfully moved one step further. "Somewhere In Time" wrapped tight the clever songwriting of Steve Harris and friendlier musical environment, but doesn't sound cheesy and the aggressive twin axe attack is still there.

"Caught Somewhere In Time" was brought to the front as the opener. The power of the song lies on the punchy chorus and those intense guitar duels. "Wasted Years", which was written by Adrian Smith, has the killer and memorable intro that never got out off your head after all these years. Probably their most melodic song and not a single wasteful moment you can find here. "Heaven Can Wait" and "Deja-vu" are another fave of mine. "The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner" is an underrated gem with a dynamic tempo and blazing guitars, watch Dickinson's playful vocal technique here, perhaps one of his finest moments. The grand closer, "Alexander The Great", started slow then they build up the tempo to create a monstrous heavy metal epic.

Iron Maiden seized another victory with "Somewhere In Time". A very special album that I personally consider their best of all time and I still cheer it to this day.

Definitely my favorite album of all time.
Stephen wrote:
Maiden will visit Indonesia on February next year, for the first time in their history, hopefully this will be a major success, heard that around 30.000 people are ready to welcome them

and yes, this is an outstanding album! :)

Great review Stephen. Probably my favorite by Iron Maiden too.

Empire Of The Blind Thrash Metal