POISON — Open Up And Say... Ahh! (review)

POISON — Open Up And Say... Ahh! album cover Album · 1988 · Glam Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
progshine
First of all let me get this out of the way: You do not even have to read an interview with guitarist CC Deville or hear him talking about his influences to know that he was one of those American teenagers obsessed with Kiss (in a Detrot Rock City film style), just listen to his guitar sound and his riffs to see it clearly.

I confess that I have an absurd preconception about this Hair Metal thing. I have not yet heard a single decent record from this 'genre', but I keep trying, I guess. The only records I remember that I have somewhat enjoyed are The Final Countdown (Europe) and Screw It! (Danger Danger). Everything else I heard does not do anything for me. The almost Pop production of the 80s weights on that factor, and on several occasions, Metal does not even exist.

'Open Up and Say ... Ahh!', Poison's second record, does not change my mind, it's an ok record if it's playing as background music in some friends' meeting or at that Rock Bar you went for a beer, and that's all. 'Nothin' But A Good Time 'is a pretty cool track, and' Every Rose Has Its Thorn 'is the obligatory ballad of the record (every Hair Metal album needs a 'power ballad', right).

Like I said, in the end, forgettable after just one listen.

progshine wrote:
1 year ago
hahaha I can understand that! I mean, if it's an album you grew up with, there's no way you will dislike it, even after many decades. But for me, who didn't grow up with them, that was the feeling after finishing the record :D
1 year ago
Most of your review? Quite correct. Forgettable? No. No matter how hard I try I can't get those lyrics I learned as a teen out of my head. :D

The Leaders Are Swine Deathcore