EDGE OF SANITY — Kur-Nu-Gi-A (review)

EDGE OF SANITY — Kur-Nu-Gi-A album cover Demo · 1990 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Kur-Nu-Gi-A" is the 2nd demo cassette tape by Swedish death metal act Edge of Sanity. The demo was self-released in 1990. Edge of Sanity were formed in 1989 and relatively quickly released their first demo cassette tape "Euthanasia (1989)". "Kur-Nu-Gi-A" was originally limited to 500 copies, but when they sold out, 500 additional copies were made (featuring a slightly different cover artwork).

The demo features 6 tracks and a full playing time of 20:06 minutes. All tracks would appear in re-recorded (and in some cases re-arranged) versions on future studio albums. "Decepted by the Cross", "Maze of Existence", and "Immortal Souls" on "Nothing but Death Remains (1991)", "Beyond the Unknown" and "The Day of Maturity" on "Unorthodox (1992)", and "Serenade for the Dead" on "The Spectral Sorrows (1993)".

Stylistically Edge of Sanity have now shed all 80s thrash metal influences (which "Euthanasia (1989)" featured in smaller doses) and the music on "Kur-Nu-Gi-A" is 100% pure death metal. Even this early on Edge of Sanity was not a standard old school Swedish death metal act. Their compositions were generally more sophisticated and adventurous (at times even semi-progressive) than what most of their contemporaries produced.

"Kur-Nu-Gi-A" features a raw and lo-fi produced sound quality, which may lack a bit in the detail department, but makes up for it in raw and brutal charm. Dan Swanö´s growling vocals are slightly more intelligible on "Kur-Nu-Gi-A" than the case was on "Euthanasia (1989)", but he still doesn´t sound as unique as he does on the succeeding studio albums. I´d say he´s about half way there though. The band are fairly well playing although especially the guitars sound a bit untight at times. Even a bit out of tune too.

The general quality of the material is decent enough, but it´s mostly "Decepted by the Cross" and "Maze of Existence" which showcase the future brilliance of Edge of Sanity. The rest is more standard quality death metal and upon conclusion a 3 star (60%) rating isn´t all wrong.

Hold Back the Dawn Death Metal
GRAVEYARD
Rhetoric Of The Image Sludge Metal
TORPOR
The Day I Became Us Deathcore
PRINCIPLES OF MERGER
The Apophis Solution Deathcore
BECOMING AKH

Between Two Oceans - Nightmare (Studio Live)
BETWEEN TWO OCEANS