MY DYING BRIDE — A Map of All our Failures (review)

MY DYING BRIDE — A Map of All our Failures album cover Album · 2012 · Doom Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
FMOTP
A Map of All Our Failures is one of MDB"s better efforts IMHO. If you're an MDB fan, which I am without a doubt, everything they've done is at least worth a listen. I particularly like what Aaron Stainthorpe is doing lately, so A Map of All Our Failures is a 4 star album for me.

I like the way that Aaron's singing has developed over time. His bass/baritone has become more expressive and interesting. He has also pretty much done away with the growling. There is a bit of the death metal growling on "The Poorest Waltz", but I don't miss it. I think his lyrics have improved. They used to be mostly a group of violent descriptions of doom and suffering. Now there's more structure. One of my favorite tracks is "Hail Odysseus", which is clearly based on The Odyssey.

The only thing I could think of to complain about is the length of the songs. Eight songs grouped together for a little over an hour's worth of music is a bit much. However, the tempo changes in each song make them more interesting. I wouldn't put MDB's CDs on the greatest albums list, but A Map of All Our Failures is fully worthy of 4 stars.

5 months ago
Personally I think this is one of their least remarkable releases. It´s of course still a high quality release, but MDB have released so many killer albums in the career, that this one rarely gets picked when I´m in the mood for some MDB.

Legacy Metalcore
Slaves to Solitude Funeral Doom Metal
EYE OF SOLITUDE
Gateways Hard Rock
THE VINTAGE CARAVAN

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL