ANATHEMA — A Fine Day to Exit (review)

ANATHEMA — A Fine Day to Exit album cover Album · 2001 · Non-Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
arcane-beautiful
This type of prog has slowly started to come in to fashion, ever since Porcupine Tree's popularity seemed to ensue. Anathema, originally a death metal doom band, decided to ditch the growling and go for a more experimental and alternative sound.

I think these guys are at the head of true British modern prog (along with Porcupine Tree & The Pineapple Thief), because they just can't make a bad album. I never think they have made an extraordinary album, but they sure have made something special everytime, this album being one of them.

I think the artwork says it all, I don't know what it says, or what the music itself says, but it does say something pretty darn good.

1. Pressure ? Reminds me of Planet Telex (first song on Radiohead's The Bends) Great intro for an album. Great chorus. 10/10

2. Release - Love the Pure Reason Revolution vibe to the song. Great build up throughout. 10/10

3. Looking Outside Inside - Got some nice poppy influences and some great instrumental work. 8/10

4. Leave No Trace - Great chorus. The acoustic playing reminds me of Opeth. 9/10

5. Underworld - Sounds like if Porcupine Tree could still make those amazing chorus' like they used to. Best song on the album. 10/10

6. Barriers - These guys seem to draw their strength from songs like these. Dreamy and soothing. 9/10

7. Panic - I like the punky & frantic feel to the song. Reminds me of Trembling Willows by Pure Reason Revolution. 9/10

8. A Fine Day To Exit - Full of post metal build ups and atmospheres. A bit samey to be honest. 7/10

9. Temporary Peace - Great ending. The vocal are amazing. Very soothing. Simple, but wonderful. And then we fade out with waves. 10/10

CONCLUSION: Not a masterpiece, but a damn good album.

Paranoid Heavy Metal