To be honest, I wasn't really aware of this so called supergroup. I only had 2 Helloween albums, and they were all either very new or very old, and at the time I wasn't aware of the amazing power of Masterplan. But they had features that had attracted me, they were European, they were power metal and progressive metal. That's enough for me. My brother had heard the song A Smile From Heavens Eye, and showed me the video on You Tube. I loved the song automatically. So when I heard of the album, I automatically wanted to purchase it, and was it any good?
Yes, it was quite good, but to be honest, I expected a little bit more and even though this album has some amazing songs, it does get watered down by a lot of filler stuff. There are some phenomenal songs on this album though.
I was sad to hear that these guys disbanded, because they showed real potential, and maybe even a second album would have been a better accomplishment. Hopefully this isn't the last we here from them and maybe a reunion could be announced.
Basically, these guys weren't accepted as well as they should have been.
1. New Protection - What a way to start off an album. Amazing song with amazing vocals from Bjorn. The chorus is infectious to say the least. The guitar solo is also amazing. The symphonic cuts also add a very epic edge to this song. The video for this song is quite cool as well, with the obvious rip off to Lego's Bioncles.
2. A Smile From Heaven's Eye - What song. Very catchy and powerful. This song always puts me in a good mood.
3. Silent War - Interesting chorus. Very filler to be honest. I do like the very metal elements of the song.
4. The Prince Of Darkness - Very kick ass. Sounds like a crazy Dream Theater song. Amazing chorus with amazing instrumental work throughout. The ending reminds me of Symphony X.
5. Break The Chain - I like all the psychopathic shifts in tones. Pretty cool chorus with a very weird middle section.
6. Corroded Dreams - Very interesting chorus with very interesting vocals. I love the keychange at the end. The fadeout is also very cheesy.
7. The End Of Days - I love the main keyboard riff. Very Ayreon. I love the weird musical and time changes.
8. Far Beyond The Stars - Another great chorus. Very anthemic. The key change that leads to the end is very random though.
9. Black Cloud - Wow, what a heavy intro. The chorus is a bit weak. This song does have an amazing instrumental section.
10. Endless - The intro sounds like pop punk. Another filler song, really.
11. Heaven Only Knows - Very cheesy chorus. Again wee bit filler.
12. A Crack In The Wall - I like the symphonic intro. The bridge is better than the chorus, and is a lot more memorable. Good way to end the album.
CONCLUSION: A good album. There are some amazing songs on this album, but there is also a lot of filler stuff as well, sadly. But, the good songs are amazing, nonetheless.